Type Conversion Using Modify Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

amit_dwh
Participant

Type Conversion Using Modify Stage

Post by amit_dwh »

Hi

I tried using Modify Stage for converting varchar to Date using below conversion specification :

new_date : date = StringToDate(old_date,"%yyyy-%mm-%dd")

But it gives error saying :

main_program: Error parsing modify adapter: Error in binding: Unknown conversion: StringToDate
Expected destination field selector, got: ")"; input:
new_date : date = StringToDate(old_date,"%yyyy-%mm-%dd")

But same function works when i use tht in Transformer Stage.

Why is it so.

Amit
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Amit,

Do a search on Modify stage. Modify stage uses direct orchestrate functions. Search the Orchestrate manuals and you will find the orchestrate functions to be used in Modify stage.

In this case it will Date_From_String

HTH
--Rich
amit_dwh
Participant

thanks

Post by amit_dwh »

richdhan wrote:Hi Amit,

Do a search on Modify stage. Modify stage uses direct orchestrate functions. Search the Orchestrate manuals and you will find the orchestrate functions to be used in Modify stage.

In this case it will Date_From_String

HTH
--Rich
Hi

Thanks for the help.It works.

Can you suggest me where to go for these kind of things.

Amit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Orchestrate Operators manual. These can be had from IBM for the asking - ask your support provider to supply a set.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are quite a few errors in this Chapter.

For example it gives the Transformer stage function for null handling rather than the Modify stage function.

There are also errors of omission, such as the fix_zero option for decimal numbers.

Be very, very careful. Check anything you propose to do with the Orchestrate Operators manual and, perhaps, by searching on this forum.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.