HAWK requirements

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

HAWK requirements

Post by bmadhav »

I couldn't find the right forum to post HAWK related discussions, so, i am posting it here!
We are getting ready for the HAWK BETA on AIX, which is supposed to be out by mid- May'06.
Does anybody know what are the ideal machine requirements for the AIX box to put down HAWK BETA.
Here is what i am looking for :
1)minimum Processors required ?
2) Disk: How many Gbytes ?
3) Minimum Memory: ?
4) I know HAWK requires AIX 5.3
5) Other requirements if any..

I need to take these requirements to my AIX admin, so, please let me know if anybody is aware of it.
Thanks in advance..
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

From the Beta 1.0 installation guide the metadata server requires 2GB for RAM and 4GB of disk space plus it requires a WebSphere Application Server version 6.0.2 (which is bundled with the beta software). The repository requires DB2 version 8.2 (also bundled). The DataStage Server requires 2GB of RAM, 400MB of disk space to install, 16MB for each DataStage project, 180MB for each node.

They also recommend 2GB of RAM for the client machines so it looks like this is a blanket requirement and you could get away with less.

For a beta test you could get away with 1 CPU however in this release you have more software running: metadata server, DB2, application server and DataStage server. So I recommend more grunt then a minimum spec 7.x machine. 2 CPUs or more will give you a good evaluation of the parallel processing capabilities.
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

Thank u so much!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Beware that it's now Beta 2 - the rules may have changed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Someone pointed out to me in a private message that you can install components on different machines, so a metadata server on one machine and the DataStage server on another. Only the DataStage server would require the multiple CPUs.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I was told, Beta 2 is for unix flavour with bit more enhancement.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

By whom? Please attribute your sources. Otherwise you may have been told by a stand-up comedian: we have no way of knowing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.