PX jobs performing slow

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MTA
Participant

PX jobs performing slow

Post by MTA »

I need few ideas on increasing the performance of my huge volume on time loads.
Back ground:
We have very huge volumes( 47 M - 2000M)
Our database is db2 8.2. it is on a Aix box and Datastage is on a solaris box Due to this hetrogineous environment we cannot use DB2 EE stag ein our PX jobs So we were forced to use DB2 API stage in our PX jobs.
In some of the jobs that are just inserts only we have tries a work arround with bulk loader but in other jobs which are updates else inserts we are forced to use db2 API stage and these jobs are performing very very slow.
For analysis I removed the target DB2 API stage and replaced it with a dataset and the seeds were much heigher at about 1000 rec/sec compared to the speeds with a target DB2 stage which were 200 rec/sec.

Please through any ideas that I can incorporate to improve the performance of the jobs.
O/S: sunsolaris 2.8
SMP 4 Nodes
( We have good disc space available and MMEMOFF,DMEMOFF,CMEMOFF and PMEMOFF settings)
M.T.Anwer
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent;
the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
-Aiden Nowlan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Change your job design so that it segregates inserts and updates into separate streams into DB2.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I would expect that a DB2 client on Solaris would be able to connect to a DB2 server on AIX, and therefore the EE stage could use that client connection. Have you got a copy of the DB2 Remote Configuration Guide? I noticed someone uploaded the latest version to developernet just a week or two ago.
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

Thanks ray... but in order to seperate inserts and updates I have to again do a look up on the target to distinguish with between inserts and updates. And there by increasing changes of table scanning since my target would have to also serve as look up. THis has the potential of decreasing performance.
M.T.Anwer
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent;
the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
-Aiden Nowlan
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

Thanks Buney,
DB2 EE stage cannot be used to connect to a remote Database which is on a different operating system. ex ETL server is solaris and DB server is on AIX. We have turned every page to try to make DB2 EE work.
M.T.Anwer
-Aiden Nowlan
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Are you doing any slowly changing while inserting into the target?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

No DsGuru
M.T.Anwer
-Aiden Nowlan
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Are you using a Join Stage or a Lookup Stage to do your joins. The performance on Join Stage is not that good as compared to Lookupstage. Where as the Join Stage can handle bigger size of data than Lookupstage.
If you are using any plug-in stage, this surely would be lagging your performance. And again as Ray has mentioned, you need to optimize your design for better performance.
And can you exactly tell where is the bottleneck and what is the design there.? :?:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

MTA wrote:Thanks ray... but in order to seperate inserts and updates I have to again do a look up on the target to distinguish with between inserts and updates. And there by increasing changes of table scanning since my target would have to also serve as look up. THis has the potential of decreasing performance.
To determine existence all you need is to pre-load a Lookup File Set with only the key columns of the target table. You will be surprised how quickly this will work.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

DSGuru, Yes I am using join stage as I am dealing with very large volumes. The real bottel neck is in making in the target DB2 API STAGE.
The inserts and updates are happenning very very slow.
M.T.Anwer
-Aiden Nowlan
MTA
Participant

Post by MTA »

Thanks every one for your input. Your advise has got me to th epoint where I was able to fine tune the jobs
M.T.Anwer
-Aiden Nowlan
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pneumalin »

MTA,
So the LookUp File Set help you fine tune the job via spliting the Update and Insert stream? Please tell us what has helped you fine tune it, so we can learn from it.
Thanks!