FTP a file to one server to another server problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

spendem
Participant

FTP a file to one server to another server problem

Post by spendem »

Hello ALL,

This is some strange problem we are facing.
1) The file is fixed width format file.
2) After appending the Input file from the lookup data(Additional fields from lookup). for the some of the fields we are getting a special characters in the Output file.
3) Problem summary When FTP ing from one server to another server the special characters seems to dissapear.

4)for Eg: the Lookup Table AAAA has Column A char(6).
When extracting data for column A we coould retrive Chara(3) data followed by some spces i.e 365Space1space2space3.

Note; Space1, Space2 and space3 are some special characters.

Can anyone please help us on how to overcome this special charater problem. i.e the Output data after the FTP is only 365 with no special charaters and as due to this the Input file in the other server is not able to read the file which we are sending it. (rememebre this is a fixed width file).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"ASCII" or binary transfer? Take DataStage out of the picture - do an FTP without DataStage to determine whether your FTP mechanism is the culprit.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
spendem
Participant

Post by spendem »

ray.wurlod wrote:"ASCII" or binary transfer? Take DataStage out of the picture - do an FTP without DataStage to determine whether your FTP mechanism is the culprit. ...

Hi Ray,
Thanks for your information and early reply tto this problem.

I tried doing that it still didnt worked the moment it is going to some other server the special charatetrs seems to dissapear.
I tried doing both the ASCII and binary transfer as well.

The problem is the input file on the other server is picking up the next value just after the column A i.e for eg: the output is 365123 i.e the it is picking the value of the next column as well the next column data is 123482 of char(6) and this column in turn is picking up the next column data. this is further carried for the next column.

Many Thanks,
Sandeep
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Can you verify this is not a conflict of file format between the original system and the one you use in the jobs?
Fixed width file can have zero to N spaces between columns.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
spendem
Participant

Post by spendem »

Hi Roy,

Verified the file formats. and there is no difference among them.
Do I need to check anythinh Else apart from this?

Many Thanks,
Sandeep S Pendem
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

spendem wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:"ASCII" or binary transfer? Take DataStage out of the picture - do an FTP without DataStage to determine whether your FTP mechanism is the culprit. ...

Hi Ray,
Thanks for your information and early reply tto this problem.

I tried doing that it still didnt worked the moment it is going to some other server the special charatetrs seems to dissapear.
I tried doing both the ASCII and binary transfer as well.

The problem is the input file on the other server is picking up the next value just after the column A i.e for eg: the output is 365123 i.e the it is picking the value of the next column as well the next column data is 123482 of char(6) and this column in turn is picking up the next column data. this is further carried for the next column.

Many Thanks,
Sandeep
OK, you've established that DataStage is not the culprit.
Looks like you're going to have to get the FTP settings correct so that this behaviour does not occur during transfer. I think you're likely to have more success with binary transfer, particularly if the "special space" characters are 0x00 (ASCII "NUL") characters.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.