Warnings on preserve-partitioning

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Warnings on preserve-partitioning

Post by avi21st »

Hi

I am getting the following warnings

1)SEQL_Tgt_User: When checking operator: A sequential operator cannot
preserve the partitioning of the parallel data set on input port 0.

2)LKP_Master_1: When checking operator: Operator of type
"APT_LUTCreateOp": will partition despite the preserve-partitioning
flag on the data set on input port 0.

I am using a lookup to a dataset in this job and is not even complex partitioning logic. I am preserving the partition while carrying forward from previous job which creates the input as well as the lookup dataset. What can cause these warnings?
:(
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Insufficient information. What is your source? How are these data partitioned?

Clearly a Sequential File stage (which operates in sequential mode) can not preserve partitioning. You should not be expecting it to. Exactly why the Lookup stage is choosing to override your "preserve partitioning" setting can not be determined on the information you've provided.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

elaborate: error on Preserve Partitioning

Post by avi21st »

ray.wurlod wrote:Insufficient information. What is your source? How are these data partitioned?

Clearly a Sequential File stage (which operates in sequential mode) can not preserve partitioning. You should not be expecting it to. Exactly why the Lookup stage is choosing to override your "preserve partitioning" setting can not be determined on the information you've provided.
Sorry

I missed it in a hurry. I have the sequential file as input then doing some transformation (using transformer) and doing lookup on three datasets (lookup master key files ) before loading final dataset.

I have put entire partitioning in all my lookup master key files. And also the link from transformer I am partitioning by hash. Then I am preserving that partition in my lookup.

Ray could you please tell me where I went wrong in determining the partition logic.

I have removed the preserve partitioning on the Sequential stage. But can we read data parallely in some way. I know of mentioning "Readers per node" but never used it. Please suggest.
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you used Entire when loading Lookup File Sets, then you must specify Entire when using them. Or (Auto). Or get the warning.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

ray.wurlod wrote:If you used Entire when loading Lookup File Sets, then you must specify Entire when using them. Or (Auto). Or get the warning.

Thanks a lot Ray...we decided to use message handler for that.....

DO you think it is a good decision??
Avishek Mukherjee
Chicago, IL, USA.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I would suggest, you can 'handle' the first one but not the second.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's always better to know the cause of warnings and to eliminate them where possible. Sometimes time pressure to get a result means that you take a short cut, such as implementing a message handler. Don't forget to promote the message handler into test and production environments if it is your choice to use it.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Warning 2 can be handled in the job.
Is your preserve parition flag from your transforer is ser?
If so 'clear' it.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'