Parrellel jobs and C++ compiler

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudhi
Participant

Parrellel jobs and C++ compiler

Post by sudhi »

Help me to solve the issue

I am Using Datastage 7.5 EE in Windows environment .I think i need to install C++ compiler for exicuting parrelel jobs but i have no idea about the specification of C++ copiler.give me the details
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Search the forum. You need to have installed Visual Studio .NET to get the C++ compiler needed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mujeebur
Participant

Post by mujeebur »

Just a curious question , If windows environment having single processor ( 1 CPU) does it it felxible to create one more logical node to run PX job ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, but you run out of resources fairly fast. Processing nodes are logical, unrelated to the number of CPUs. However one controlling process plus up to one player process per stage is generated for each processing node. So there can be a lot of processes competing for that one CPU.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Most people running parallel jobs on Windows are doing it for training, or evaluation or off-site development. Most parallel production systems are on Unix. It helps to define two nodes in your test/dev environment on Windows so your unit testing includes partition testing.
mujeebur
Participant

Post by mujeebur »

does this forum having anyone posted their experiences on creating logical node in Windows.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Windows is no different from UNIX in this regard. The configuration file determines absolutely the maximum number of processing nodes.