Disabling Local Message Handlers

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Disabling Local Message Handlers

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there any convenient way (that is, without hacking the Repository) to disable a local message handler for a job? That is, if one has created a local message handler (one that is not stored in the MsgHandlers directory), how can one disable its effect?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If the local message handler is viewable in the message handler manager, then the logs can be suppressed, if this is what you are looking for.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They're not viewable in the Message Handler Manager. :cry:
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ray, Out of curiousity, is this handler custom built or a customized add-in.?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's created by right-clicking on the warning message in the job log, and selecting "Add rule to message handler..." then, in the dialog thus opened, choosing "add rule to local runtime handler for job jobname." Apparently the message handler is stored with the job (or log) properties, not with the global message handlers.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Solved

Post by ray.wurlod »

They DO show up in the Message Handler Manager if you've got the right job open in the log and with the "messages handled" event selected. :oops:

So much for multi-tasking.

Still to figure out where in the Repository these are stored, but that's a question for another day.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, managed to track it down (by accident, since I was looking at the generated OSH from UNIX level. There's a file called Local.msh for storing local message handlers for the job, in the RT_SCnnn directory, where nnn is the job number. 8)
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Learnt a new thing :)
Thanks Ray.
BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BIuser »

I have found that message handler files are not exported to the dsx file.

When moving from development to production, the message handler files have to be copied to the production server.

Seeing that local message handlers are part of the RT_SCnnn directory, will they be exported to the dsx :?:
-------------------------
https://www.ssa.co.za
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I highly doubt it. Never tried it though. Give it shot.
You will have to explicitly copy the rules from Local.msh of your dev server to the same file on your production box.
BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BIuser »

:D Good news. All the files in the RT_SCnnn folder are exported to the dsx, including Local.msh :D :D :D
-------------------------
https://www.ssa.co.za
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, the answer to the original question is that it IS possible. There is a check box in the Job Run Options dialog. In the API there are two functions for enabling/disabling message handlers, named something like DSSetEnableGlobalMsg and DSSetEnableLocalMsg. Still trying to track down some documentation on these, but they can be found in job control code generated by a job activity for a job that has a message handler defined.
katerina_se
Premium Member
Premium Member

DSSetEnableGlobalMsg and DSSetEnableLocalMsg

Post by katerina_se »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]OK, the answer to the original question is that it IS possible. There is a check box in the Job Run Options dialog. In the API there are two functions for enabling/disabling message handlers, named something like DSSetEnableGlobalMsg and DSSetEnableLocalMsg. Still trying to track down some documentation on these, but they can be found in job control code generated by a job activity for a job that has a message handler defined.[/quote]

Hi Ray,

You mentioned that it is possible to enable/disable message handlers using DSSetEnableGlobalMsg and DSSetEnableLocalMsg.
Would you please provide more information how to use them. In my case, I need to disable Project level message handler for a job.

Thank you,
--Katrin
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I was never able to find any documentation. You can infer usage of these functions by inspection of the generated job control code in a job sequence.