not able to open the job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

not able to open the job

Post by kollurianu »

Hi All,

some how iam not able to open one job , when i am trying to open in designer it says "job is accessed by another user".

Any ideas....but it is not opened by anyone else.....

Actually i opened the job and suddenly there was a power failure since then i was not able to open the job...

So any i deas how to open it again..

Thanks all...
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

This happens due to the fact that you did not close the job properly via the designer. According to the server, that job is still accessed by someone else because it did not recieve a proper job close. All you need to do is go to the director, go to Job in the tool bar and choose "Cleanup resources"
In the process section, click on 'show all' and in the locks click on 'show by process'
next click on each Pid # in the top window and look at the window below, as soon as you find your job name, do click on Release All, go back to that same pid# and click on logout.
you should be all set
the other way to do it is via the Administrator.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
paddu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paddu »

hi

i had similar problem, the reason could be the job might have not closed as you said sudden power failure.

I best way is to unlock the job using adminstrator.
I hope u will surely get how to do that with proper search in this forum.

search for unlock or job is locked by an user

paddu
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Thanks DSGuru and Paddu ,,

Dsguru i tried ur ways i could release one job , but , another job i couldnot , it might be becos yesterday i requested admin to cleanup the job , he killed the job , so now in the director in clean up resources in
upper window the pid is 0 and context is 'unavailable'

in the lower window i could see the job so i could realease......

but still iam unable to open the job..

any ideas.... how to fix it ...

sorry for posting in the parallel forum....

Thanks alot....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Release all locks held by the PID that had the job locked. Is it still the same message, or a different one, that leads to your "still cannot open the job"?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Hi All,

Thanks for responding RAy , yes that job still cannot be opened , so tried search , i found one post and in that it was asked to start the dsdlockd.config deamon , so i checked with my admin , he said
that deamon is already running and he said yesterday he killed from
bulletin and today he killed from root , he said that would take minimum of two hours to release it .........

some how in search when i try to search for the topic i donot get any result posts......
so any ideas....
Thanks all
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Follow these steps, you must be root or dsadm:

Code: Select all

cd `cat /.dshome`
. ./dsenv
bin/uvsh
From the command prompt, type in:

> LOGTO UV
Type in

> LIST.READU
Look at the USERNO column and get the number associated to your locked job. Type in

> UNLOCK USER yournumber ALL
Your job should be released. This ALWAYS works, because the underlying PID may have died, but the USERNO is always associated to that lock. Killing a non-existing PID has no effect.

Type in this to exit:

> QUIT
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Thanks alot Kenneth , that worked atlast ...

Purna.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

UNLOCK USER yournumber ALL
is the best method for releasing locks. If you can, get your unix admin to go into the dsengine/bin directory and copy program list_readu to another file called "unlock". Now, you can execute list_readu from the unix prompt, and run unlock as well without going "into" the command line tool. 8)
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It might be the best, but be very, very careful when using it that you don't inadvertently - or even deliberately - release validly-held locks. The locks are there for a reason - to prevent data anomalies in the Repository database.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

When a DS Designer connects to the repository, it gets a USERNO assigned. All jobs and routines are locked under the same USERNO value, so Ray's warning is to be careful to only release locks for a given job. But, if you trashed your network connection, all jobs under that DS Designer session would need releasing anyway. This method gets them all in one statement.

If you have different Designer sessions open, they have different USERNO values for their locks. I never recommended opening multiple jobs in one Designer, but use one Designer per job. This is one of the reasons for that recommendation. Jobs can be selectively unlocked.

Never unlock a job if a user went to lunch and you want access to a job they still have validly open. This can lead to CORRUPTION in your project, so use your judgment with these techniques.

I feel the need now to state DSXchange and Premium Posters take no responsibility for bonehead decisions to unlock jobs in development. :lol: We make enough mistakes on our own without being reponsible for yours. :lol:
Kenneth Bland