View data on seq not working

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

smitageorge
Participant

View data on seq not working

Post by smitageorge »

Hi all,

I am trying to do a simple move from dataset to sequential file and in between using the remove duplicates stage .The job is getting compiled and is running good but when i am trying to view data it is giving following error:

No row are returned from the view data server command
would you like to view command output

when i am saying "yes"

it is displaying the following:

##I TFCN 000001 16:16:24(000) <main_program>
Ascential DataStage(tm) Enterprise Edition 7.5.1A
Copyright (c) 2004, 1997-2004 Ascential Software Corporation.
All Rights Reserved

##I TUTL 000031 16:16:24(001) <main_program> The open files limit is 4096; raising to 2147483647.
##I TOSH 000002 16:16:24(002) <main_program> orchgeneral: loaded
##I TOSH 000002 16:16:24(003) <main_program> orchsort: loaded
##I TOSH 000002 16:16:24(004) <main_program> orchstats: loaded
##I TFSC 000001 16:16:24(005) <main_program> APT configuration file: /opt/apps/ds/idc_dev/configurations/idc_dev_1.apt
##W TCOS 000049 16:16:24(006) <main_program> Parameter specified but not used in flow: DSProjectMapName
##I TOIX 000163 16:16:25(000) <Sequential_File_26,0> Import complete; 0 records imported successfully, 0 rejected.
**VIEWDATA ROW LIMITER HIT

Thanks
smita
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Smitha

Check whether you pass right value to all parameters used inside the job. Go to your unix folder and see if there is any file created in the name you had given.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The message in your report suggests that the Data Set is empty (since there were neither rows imported nor rows rejected). Use the Data Set management tool (in Manager) or the dsrecords command to determine the number of rows in the Data Set.

Or the target file may not exist - as Siva suggests - but can still be opened for writing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jenkinsrob
Participant

Post by jenkinsrob »

Smitha,

Can you see any data when you do a view data on the source Dataset??

Can you see any data passing through your job using the 'show performance statistics' option on the Designer Canvas??

Do you have your 'Rows to Display 'set to a number greater than 0 and your 'Skip Count' set to 0 when you try to view the data??

As Siva suggests...the surest way is to look at the file on the OS...

Regards

Rob
smitageorge
Participant

Post by smitageorge »

Hi Rob,

I am able to view the data in the source Dataset and also on the canvas it is showing that 9 rows are processed and passed to seq file.

But the thing is that when i am using dataset instead of seq file i am able to view the data there.

Also Siva,I am using /dev/null as the seq file path for the testing purpose.

Thanks
smita
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Smitha

I am sure that you can see data in your dataset its only in your sequential file, where it reports 0 records.

You are using /dev/null as path in your sequential file name which outputs to null device. That's the reason you are getting 0 records when you try to see the records in sequential. Change /dev/null to a proper path and file name that will solve your problem.

You should always remember that using /dev/null will always write to null device.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

Hi Smita,

I think in your metadata you have columns with Nullability YES in the Data set ( Source). So, you have to handle this nulls while you are using Sequential file as Target. Just try this out , go to the Sequential file Metadta and select the columns which have the Nullability YES and double click on the column matadata and select nullable option and select null field value and pass the spaces in ' ' based on your field length, means if your column length is 10 then pass 10 spaces. I think it will solve your problem.

Regards
Nagesh.
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Nagesh

Simtha is using /dev/null as Sequential file path
Also Siva,I am using /dev/null as the seq file path for the testing purpose
Regards
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

smitageorge
Participant

Post by smitageorge »

rasi wrote:Nagesh

Simtha is using /dev/null as Sequential file path
Also Siva,I am using /dev/null as the seq file path for the testing purpose
Regards
It wis working file after giving the proper path.But y it is like that?

thanks all
smita
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

A MAY BE TIP: I have tried it
when you hit the View Data button, an Error window pops-up. Check mark the VIEW ERRORS ONLY radio button, if you see nothing below in the job output, then there is no data in the file. If yes, then there is some problem in your parameters.
But this wont be valid always.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

/dev/null is a black hole. Anything sent to /dev/null has gone forever. You are very lucky your session didn't also disappear into the black hole (= hang forever) if you tried View Data on /dev/null. Because the data have gone, you would only ever expect to be able to see those that remain; that is, none.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.