null metadata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

knowledge
Participant

null metadata

Post by knowledge »

Hi all ,

My source data type is null but It does not have any null valuesas it is required field , my target field is not null , I am getting this warning :

"When checking operator: When binding output interface field "TRANSACTION_DATE" to field "TRANSACTION_DATE": Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result;
a fatal runtime error could occur; use the modify operator to
specify a value to which the null should be converted."

I converted the meta data to not null in the source query but since it is user defined query it is taking meta data from source table , I included nvl too but did not help

pl suggest how to get rid off this warning

Thanks
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As suggested use modify stage to handle null explicitly. Search for 'handle_null'
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
knowledge
Participant

no null in the source

Post by knowledge »

Hey Kumar ,

I do not have any null in the field then why to use modify stage (just curious),

I thought of using modify stage but confused with the fact that if there are no nulls in the source data why it is complaining about null ,

Thanks
reachthiru
Participant

Post by reachthiru »

Hi,

DataStage won't know wheather the data you are going to load has NULL or Not. That's why it is giving a warning message. You can better discard that message. But if you want to get rid of that msg, as Kumar told, use Modify stage.
With regards,
Thiru
knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

Thanks A lot !
amsh76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by amsh76 »

Two ways you can avoid this warnings:

1. Use Message handler and suppress this warning to Information

2. If you are very sure that the column won't contain NULL then change it to NOT NULLABLE in your table definition.
knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

Hey Amsh ,

I have tried 2nd option before but though I changed the meta data it does not help ,

thanks ,

I will discard the warning !
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Another way to handle nulls in EE is that you have to take care of the nullability of the columns. EE is very sensitive in this case as compared to Server. So better take care of that, else it will result in numerous fatal errors.
Hope it help.
knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

Hi All,

when I made target column nullable it did not give me any error ,

will this cause any issue in future if the column is not nullable and I changed the metadata manually in the oracle stage to make it nullable ,

pl suggest ,,

Thanks,