Releasing DS project as executable

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

koolnitz
Participant

Releasing DS project as executable

Post by koolnitz »

Hi All,

We are all set to deploy our DS project into production. Now we have been told that the client doesn't allow to have C compiler in PRD server. They want to release the DS project as an executable.

Project details in brief:
a. Using Unix script to run the jobs
b. Using a parameter file to pass parameters to the jobs and sequences

Queries:
1. Is it possible to bundle whole project into an executable file?
2. Will it require any DS client at PRD site to kick off this executable?
3. Can we make .exe file? Something which would be as easy as "click and go"
4. How do we pass parameters while running executable?
5. Do we need to take care explicitly about DB connections and users while running the executable? Can it take it from the same parameter file which we had been using while kicking off the job from script?

Any additional information will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Nitin Jain | India

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

The cycle - You design in the designer. A Osh code will be generated. It can be compiled using compiler, it does while you compile before you run your job. And produces an executable. While you run a job, the executable will be executed and not the design or source code. Hence if you export the executable, it is more than enough to maintain a production level project. As long as there wont be any requirement to do a rework and recompile.
The executable will still ask for the parameters to be passed to it during runtime. So the arrangement you made to pass the paramters will also be in the right side.
Regarding kick of method... you can choose your own. Many schedulers are available, one of the example may be Control M...
You can opt shell scripts to call DS jobs. (dsjobs). Which inturns call the sequencer in higher level.

IHTH
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

Thanks Kumar!

The description is been very informative and helpful.
Nitin Jain | India

koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

Hi Kumar:
The cycle - You design in the designer. A Osh code will be generated. It can be compiled using compiler, it does while you compile before you run your job. And produces an executable.
I am bit confused here. You said OSH code will be generated when you design the job and then it can be compiled using compiler. But I think, OSH is generated only when you compile the job and not before that. Did you mean to convey the same?

I tried exporting a job from Manager (Export > Executable Job), then I imported the same to another project. Below are the two diff scenarios I followed:

1. I exported a compiled job, imported it, the job status in the new project is 'Compiled'
2. I exported an aborted job, imported it, the job status in the new project is still 'Compiled'

Is it supposed to be the same?

What is the significance of 'Program sources' checkbox under 'Job executables' in Export DataStage Components menu?

If I export a job in executable form, does it still require a Compiler to run the job in a different server? (Let's say I dont want to modify the job.)

Thanks!
Nitin Jain | India

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I am bit confused here. You said OSH code will be generated when you design the job and then it can be compiled using compiler. But I think, OSH is generated only when you compile the job and not before that. Did you mean to convey the same?
Yes you got it right. Osh code will be generated only after the process of compilation.

Aborted/Compiled are just the status of the job. Export does not export the status of the job but only the Executables (Somthing like exe in windoes)

Once job is compiled and the executable is exported, compiler is not necesary.

Have a look on this post to gain more idea about Program source
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'