esql complaint: ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting f

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsedi
Participant

esql complaint: ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting f

Post by dsedi »

All,

one of my PX job( Which is triggering INSERT query) failing frequently by saying

Code: Select all

sqlcode is: -60
esql complaint: ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting for resource
it's happening regularly on a particular table...
I want to confirm the issue is really with ORACLE or is it due to the parallel exection( on 2 nodes) of my job?

FYI...I am having a JOb parameter called "Disable operator combination" value as FALSE...is that creating issues...?

any idea's?

Thanks,Edi
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

me too was getting this problem. but proper partioning help me.

your target table may be in upsert mode. so do proper input stream partitioning on keys.
kwwilliams
Participant

Re: esql complaint: ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiti

Post by kwwilliams »

This

"Disable operator combination" value as FALSE

is not causing you any problems. The problem is that your record set has duplicate values in them. You could have the records in different partitions, or they could be in the same partitions in a large commit block. Because Oracle only locks at a record level you should know that you are inserting and/or updating a row multiple times. If you hash parition based on the key and then remove duplicates you should see this go away. You should also see the output of the link that removes duplicates be less than the input if I am correct.
srividhya
Participant

Post by srividhya »

Hi ,
set the INITRANS to more then 2 in oracle setting since you are runnind in 2 nodes. ALTER TABLE INITRANS 3

it worked for me
Srividhya
tardifma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tardifma »

Hi
From what I understand, the problem could be a mix of Oracle and Datastage PX...

What is an Oracle Deadlock exactly:
It is when 1 session make a change on a particular row and another session (not the same) try to make another change on the same row... but the change will not be applied until the commit of the session 1 happen.
Suppose now that the session 2 makes a change a another row and after that the session 1 tries to update the same row... then session 1 will wait session 2 to commit...

In that particular case, both sessions will wait to commit... and a Deadlock will happen...

This is from an Oracle Perspective.
Now, from a Datastage perspective... For each node you have, Datastage create a connection (a session) to Oracle... Suppose that each node upsert the same rows... you'd have a deadlock...

Make sure you are not "Upserting" the same rows...
Thanks.
The Brute
madannitjam
Participant

Post by madannitjam »

I also faced the same issue and it was a duplicate issue.
Madan