What is the exact reference between Informatica&DataStag

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arasan
Participant

What is the exact reference between Informatica&DataStag

Post by arasan »

Hi Please Refer to me What is the exact reference between Informatica&DataStage.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Could you explain your question in a bit more precise way? Informatica and DataStage are both ETL products that have been competitors for many years.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's what sales people are for. Of course, you'll get two different answers from the two different camps... and I'm assuming "reference" actually means "difference" here. If not, then as Arnd noted, you would need to expand on your question a wee bit more.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tardifma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tardifma »

Hi arasan.

First, you must know that Informatica is a company... not an ETL tool... Power Center is the Informatica's ETL tool (even if we use to call it Informatica).

In fact, both are great tool but they have different prose and cons.

Personnaly, I think Datastage EE is a lot more performant...
But Informatica is better in term of reusability... Informatica is an Oriented Object ETL tool... Everything you create in Informatica can be reused...

From a development perspective... maybe Informatica is a bit easier to work with... but from a operational point of view, Datastage is the way 2 go because, every time you build a Datawarehouse, performance is always an issue !!!

I hope this will help you to choose the best tool for the need of your project.

Thanks.
The Brute
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage is also object oriented, but it's not quite so obvious in the GUI. Each component you use in a design is instantiated from a class. For example a Transformer stage is an instance of the class of Transformer stages, as represented by a record in the DS_STAGETYPES table. When you "design" DataStage jobs, you're actually editing the properties of these objects. The methods are exposed by the objects themselves and you can't influence the collection of methods; you can see the methods exposed as subroutines via stage tracing (at least in server jobs). Generically the methods exposed by passive stages are "get next row", "get row by key", "put", "open", "close" and some more for handling abnormal conditions. Active stages have methods like "run" and "reset" and, again, handlers for abnormal conditions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.