Unable to trim leading zeroes using trim()

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jmessiha
Participant

Unable to trim leading zeroes using trim()

Post by jmessiha »

Using the trim function to remove leading zeroes does not appear to be working.

The input value was 00092102A92 and I wanted it to be 92102A92 on the output. The number of leading zeroes can very and as you can see, there are alphas in my varchar field.

I tried to use trim(DSLink123.MY_FIELD,"0","L") to no avail. Even using a literal did not work.
Trim("00009", "0", "L") returned 00009.

What am I doing wrong?

I ended up using the following but would like to know if I can change this to a trim:
convert(' ','0',trimf(convert('0',' ',DSLink123.FIELD_NAME)))
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Hi

The trim function must work. I had used it so many jobs and never had this problem. I used the below to do a quick test to see what the result is.

trim('000987A87',"0","L")
Result = 987A87

It works...Check again or use the above code and put in the transformer and test
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
jmessiha
Participant

Post by jmessiha »

No, again, that is not working. I get 000987A87 when I copy and paste your code into my job. Are you using a parallel job? I am.
rasi wrote:Hi

The trim function must work. I had used it so many jobs and never had this problem. I used the below to do a quick test to see what the result is.

Result = 987A87

It works...Check again or use the above code and put in the transformer and test
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,

Try with the paramteres passed for the Trim function in single quotes.

Code: Select all

Trim(link.field,'0','L')
-Kumar
jmessiha
Participant

Post by jmessiha »

I get the same result whether I use single, double, mixed and every combination of quotes that I could think of. This is quite frustrating.
kumar_s wrote:Hi,

Try with the paramteres passed for the Trim function in single quotes.

Trim(link.field,'0','L')
-Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is the data type of MYFIELD? Have you tried converting it to integer (say in a Transformer stage)? That should remove the zeroes - if it doesn't adding zero to the integer definitely will.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's not an integer, but rather an alphanumeric value: "000987A87".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
srikanthd1978
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Unable to trim leading zeroes using trim()

Post by srikanthd1978 »

if u get an alphanumeric value u shld be able to use the 'ereplace' function and eliminate the "0" char in ur string...but i think the trim shld work...
..i did not invent many things..but i can make them Better..
jmessiha
Participant

Post by jmessiha »

It's an alphanumeric (VARCHAR). 0009321A3 is a valid input, but I'd need the output to be 9321A3

ray.wurlod wrote:What is the data type of MYFIELD? Have you tried converting it to integer (say in a Transformer stage)? That should remove the zeroes - if it doesn't adding zero to the integer definitely will.
jmessiha
Participant

Re: Unable to trim leading zeroes using trim()

Post by jmessiha »

I don't want to eliminate every 0. Only leading 0's. Also, I think ereplace is server only. Right?

er
srikanthd1978 wrote:if u get an alphanumeric value u shld be able to use the 'ereplace' function and eliminate the "0" char in ur string...but i think the trim shld work...
jmessiha
Participant

Post by jmessiha »

Right.
chulett wrote:It's not an integer, but rather an alphanumeric value: "000987A87".
kommven
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kommven »

Did you Use

Abs(Input.Col1)
and let us know,

-R
Last edited by kommven on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Guys

Result = 987A87

has to work with Trim function. Unless there is something missing. Sometimes Number 0 is type as Alphabet O which is very hard to debug. Check is it something like that. Try creating a new simple job with this. Sometimes it does helps in debugging....

regards
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
jmessiha
Participant

Post by jmessiha »

No, it's not working. I copied and pasted your code in there, so there is no chance of typing a zero as an O or vice-versa. If it works in yours, it should work in mine, right? Well it's not.
rasi wrote:Guys

Result = 987A87

has to work with Trim function. Unless there is something missing. Sometimes Number 0 is type as Alphabet O which is very hard to debug. Check is it something like that. Try creating a new simple job with this. Sometimes it does helps in debugging....

regards
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

:evil: Is there any thing else funny things going on in your project.
Just give a shot to restart your server and try again.

-Kumar