warning message handling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nsg
Premium Member
Premium Member

warning message handling

Post by Nsg »

I am running a job where i know there are going to many warnings of null in not nullable field - unique priary index and those records need to be collected in a reject file ,,, i want to have a warning message but not 100 thousands of the same warnings....now the options i have are
1. give a constraint in transformer and give two outputlinks ,,, in which case i will not have any warnings and no indication of such vulgar data ....
2. chanel the data through a reject link from transformer ,, in which case there will be 100 thousands of warnings .
3. i could use a select statement and read only the valid data with no nulls in unique primary index,,, in which case i will not have any data in reject for evaluation.
so considering all these options i think the best thing would be if i could use some property to give only one warning message instaed of many.
is it possible through message handler,,, i tried some options but does no good

Is this kind of a unique requirement ???
If the above is not possible, what will be the effect of such huge volume of warnings on the log file ??
Is there a way some message can be sent when warnings arise ??
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Warnings are there for some reason. It's too risky to ignore the warnings. Sometimes it might drop records which won't even passed to output nor to reject link. My suggestion is you contol the warning by using null handling function etc.

If it is going to be a permanent warning then have your own message handler created for it. I even suggest not to use message handler in the development environment. Have your message handler created while you migrate jobs from development.
Regards
Siva

Listening to the Learned

"The most precious wealth is the wealth acquired by the ear Indeed, of all wealth that wealth is the crown." - Thirukural By Thiruvalluvar
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
The best practice is to stick with 0 warnings.
If you are aware of the warning which might arise, hope you might have options to neglet the warnings. Yes you need to delibratly check for NULL. Null Handling has been delt many time in this forum. Pls do a serach.
For some warnings which cannot be ignore, or need a very big workaround, when compared to the sevirity of the warning, you can use Message handler. Look at the FAQ to gain knowledge of Message Handler.
viewtopic.php?t=91398

-Kumar