MVS database connection from DS on Unix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

G_Backman
Participant

MVS database connection from DS on Unix

Post by G_Backman »

Hello,

I am new to the Datastage enviornment. I need your help.

We have some requirement in which I need to extract data from DB2 database on MVS system on remote server and load it to our FTP directory. We have to perform this task by developing job on Datastage v7.5 on unix enviornment.

Just wondering is it possible to use DB2 API stage or ODBC stage as a source in my design and extract the data from the DB2 database on MVS?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

You can do it with DB2 stage, but will need to have DB2 Connect software installed on the DataStage server machine.

You can do it with ODBC stage, but will need an SQL bridge of some kind or DB2 Connect software.

Also check out IBM's Information Integrator software.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
G_Backman
Participant

Post by G_Backman »

Thanks Ray,

We have DB2 v8 on the same UNIX box where Ascential is installed. So I think "DB2 Connect" will work.

Or DB2 Connect software is some different thing.

Regards,

George
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

DB2 v8 u are talking about is the DB2 client on the Unix box. u will need a catalog entry on the UNIX box to the DB2 server on mainframe.
DB2 Connect is software that is designed to leverage your enterprise information no matter where it is stored.