Error: Invalid Julian day

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reachthiru
Participant

Error: Invalid Julian day

Post by reachthiru »

Hi,

I have a simple job which loads data from sequential file to SQL Server. For this, I am using a sequential file stage and SQL Server stage respectively. The mapping is 1:1. I am reading all the fields as Varchar, but loading the data as per the requirement. The problem is when I am loading a NULL value to a field which is of datetime type, I am getting a fatal error 'Invalid Julian day'.

I have searched this forum and everybody says NULL can be inserted to a date field as long as it is defined as null. I defined my field as null only. Then I added a Transformer stage in between and tried to load a default value like below

Code: Select all

NullToValue(DSLink3.DATSL,'1989-01-02')
I got the same error. Then I tried the below one:

Code: Select all

OConv(IConv(NullToValue(DSLink3.DATSL,'1989-01-02'), 'D-YMD[4,2,2]'), 'D-YMD[4,2,2]') : ' 00:00:00'
But that line becomes red once I complete my editing. I don't know what's the error in it?

Now, I would like to know

1) How to insert a NULL date value in to a SQL Server date field?
2) Why the above conversion didn't parse?

Thanks all for your valuable comments to this.
With regards,
Thiru
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1) SetNull()
2) Iconv() and Oconv() are only for server jobs, not parallel jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
reachthiru
Participant

Post by reachthiru »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your prompt reply and wishes for reaching 10000 posts.

Probably I haven't phrased my first question properly. I don't want to insert a NULL value to a date field always. What I want is I am reading a field as Varchar and inserting the value to a datetime field in SQL server. The job should insert the value as it is, means if a date value is there, it should insert the date value or if it is NULL, it should insert NULL. How to do that?

I tried the following things in the mean time

1) Used the StringToTimeStamp function in the Transformer stage. Since SQL Server datetime fields is treated ast Timestamp in DS, I used this.
2) Used the SQL Convert() function in the user defined SQL.
3) Infact I also tried a hardcoded value like Convert(datetime,'2001-01-01') in the SQL statement. (Note that, I didn't remove the mapping for that field. Only in the user-defined SQL stmt, I have hard coded the value).

But I got the same error all the time.

Then I tried to read the field as Timestamp, instead of Varchar. But it gave me an error. I changed back to Varchar and set a column level null value. But this time I got a different run-time error:

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Caught unknown exception from runLocally().
Operator signalled one or more errors.

What could be the other alternative to this?

Thanks.
With regards,
Thiru