TMPDIR variable usage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

benny.lbs
Participant

TMPDIR variable usage

Post by benny.lbs »

Would you please let me know when the environment variable $TMPDIR be used ?

I have a job generate so large file with name "APT****" in TMPDIR and final abort.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Per the manual:

TMPDIR. This defaults to /tmp. It is used for miscellaneous internal
temporary data, including FIFO queues and Transformer
temporary storage. As a minor optimization, it can be better to
ensure that it is set to a file system separate to the DataStage
install directory.

Most of the temporary storage locations used by PX are covered by the APT_CONFIG file, this is the exception. I've seen lots of named pipe files created in the directory pointed to by the TMPDIR environment variable but they don't take up a lot of space.

It is likely that TMPDIR and your config file point to the same directory and you need to change the APT_CONFIG locations instead of TMPDIR.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Further, named pipes shouldn't get all that large, since there should be a process draining them as fast as the process that is filling them.

But, if your /tmp file system is small (as is often the case on Solaris systems particularly) you would do well to point TMPDIR to a file system with lots of free space.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mouni
Charter Member
Charter Member

should the server be restarted ?

Post by mouni »

After setting the TMPDIR environment variable in each project , should the server be restarted for it to take in effect ?
Because i don't see any files created in the TMPDIR and still it created in /tmp directory only.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It would appear that this may be the case. Try it and let us know.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.