Installing Enterprise Edition on an existing 7.5.1a Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Installing Enterprise Edition on an existing 7.5.1a Server

Post by Bill_G »

We are about to 'upgrade' to Enterprise Edition from 7.5.1a and I have a few questions. I have contacted IBM DataStage support but they are researching and getting back to me.

During my initial contact a few weeks ago with IBM support, I was told that the install of Enterprise was as simple as rerunning the install script and providing the new license key for Enterprise. She made it sound very simple and equated it to a bolt on process. I would like to confirm that if possible.

- Does anyone have experience with installing Enterprise over an existing implementation of Server? If so, were there issues with the install process?

- My dev box is a single processor unit. Can I run Parallel jobs on a single processor? I believe I can configure the development box to run SMP at boot time, even though only one processor exists.

- While I plan to execute an export of the Server Jobs, will I be required to re-import after running the install script? i.e. does it wipe the existing Server jobs from the box?

Thanks in advance. This site has been extremely helpful to me and my colleagues.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The license screen of the installation procedure accepts two licenses, one for server and one for parallel. You need to make sure both authorisation codes are present when you install your additional parallel engine. It should realise there is a 7.5.1a server engine already present and do the parallel engine install however there is a chance that it will reinstall the server engine. Make sure your parallel serial number is the same as your existing server serial number.

This should not affect your existing projects however the project backup is a good precaution.

Parallel jobs will run on a single CPU. If you want to evaluate or view the effects of partitioning you can configure two or more nodes.
jatayl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Installing Enterprise Edition on an existing 7.5.1a Serv

Post by jatayl »

Ideally, you'd want to install the 7.5.1a on a "test" box. Export and import your existing flows on the test box, and run several tests. Once you've been satisfied with the test results, you can just install the new version on your "production" box.

Thanks,
Jason
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Thanks for the responses. I am running my dev and test box on a VM using RedHat as the OS. In this configuration, I am limited to 1 processor per VM. While I have been told that a Parallel job will run on a single processor, it may use up the entire resource. Is it possible to utilize a processor from another VM?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I doubt it very much.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If you were particularly adventurous you could try and run your two VMs as a cluster, put one node on the main server VM and put two nodes on the other VM. This will take extra configuration steps and you need to keep both VMs running. There is a problem with VMs switching IP addresses each time they start so your main server VM may need to be reconfigured each time you reboot.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Thanks again for the insight. It sounds like it will be worth the fight for the 5k to purchase a new dual processor server...