slowly changing dimensions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

seeta
Participant

slowly changing dimensions

Post by seeta »

Hi

I am new to DataStage.I am working on datastage7.5 .I want to implement slowly changing dimension tables.What I need to do to implement those tables.Do I need to create surrogate keys or do I need to do anything else.

Thanks
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Type 1, 2, 3, or a hybrid? How familiar are you with the types and their differences? None of them require usage of surrogate keys, but they absolutely make convincing evidence of solving problems.

I suspect that you might not be totally familiar with their implementation, but the normal steps are:

1. Acquire source row and transform
2. Acquire current target row
3. Compare new source row to current target row for differences
4. If no target row exists, insert the new row (optionally assigning a surrogate key).
5. If target row exists and there's a material difference to the new row, then either perform a type3 maneuver and update the current row; for type 2 handling insert the new row and optionally mark the current row with a retiring date; for type 1 update current row with new information.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Hi ,

Unlike informatica you would not be having workflow for
slowly changing dimensions in datastage.

We need to design the type1,type2 and type3 dimensions on our own way which would suit the requirements.

Regards
Sreeni
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version 8 of DataStage EE has a Slowly Changing Dimension stage. You could use that.

Unfortunately, version 8 has not yet been released. They showed it at the show in Las Vegas in November 2005, though, so some folks have been fortunate enough to see it. It's now in beta, expecting a Q2/2006 release.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.