Error in job connecting to DB2UDB

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vigneshra
Participant

Error in job connecting to DB2UDB

Post by vigneshra »

Hi

Whenever we try to run some jobs, they abend with the following message

"The file `/db2home/sqllib/db2nodes.cfg' must exist and be readable by all users!"

But on the second or third rerun, they complete successfully. This does not happen to all the jobs and not during all the runs but this happens quite frequently and warrants for manual intervention and schedule delay.

Can anyone help out in avoiding this issue? Thanks very much in advance!
Vignesh.

"A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking."
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's a permissions problem. You will probably need your DB2 DBA to look at it. It's not a DataStage file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

Ray,

When I verified with DBA, they say that the file is having read permission to everyone. I myself verified and found that it is having read permission to all. Also, the job runs successfully when it is rerun for the second time. So I am confused if it is an interface issue. If multiple processes try to read an OS file, will there be any file locking issue happening? :roll:
Vignesh.

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

vigneshra,

is your DB/2 server on the same machine as the DataStage server? If not, you will need to make sure that the file is readable by all users on both machines.
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

Hi Arnd

DB2 and ETL servers are installed in separate unix machines but all the users are given a read permission to that file. Also, job abends not happening always. They happen only occasionally and on rerun they finish successfully. That's why I am a bit confused.
Vignesh.

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Could it be that, at times, your network is extremely busy and DataStage is unable to read /db2home/sqllib/db2nodes.cfg within its timeout interval due simply to network latency?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

Yes. It is very much possible because this error happens only during the weekends when all the schedules run simultaneously to load different data marts. But the error message in director conveys a different meaning. That is why I was confused a bit. Thanks to Ray and Arnd for their replies.
Vignesh.