Job recovery

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

We have our systems setup with a function/development test, system/QA test and finally a production system.

The flow is development -> QA -> production

Everyone ( that needs ) has access to development. Only myself and one other person have access to migrate and change jobs in QA and production.

We do not backup development. We make the developers backup their work themselves or risk losing it.

We make a backup of the job requested to go from development to QA in version control and an additional dsx copy into an OS folder named by project and route (development -> QA).

When the job goes into production we take another OS backup and put that into a folder for QA -> production. We also take another version control backup as this project is now going from QA -> production and we want to indicate that in the repository nicely.

We also take a nightly backup of the version control repository.

We find the process to be fast and works well for us. We don't need any special times coordinated except for the backup of the version control repository (just get out of the tool).

If we had a failure we would rebuild from the version control repository and/or from the OS backup's if necessary.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

Note: When I said project above in the following two paragraphs I meant to say both project and job.

We make a backup of the job requested to go from development to QA in version control and an additional dsx copy into an OS folder named by project.job and route (development -> QA).

When the job goes into production we take another OS backup and put that into a folder for QA -> production. We also take another version control backup as this project.job is now going from QA -> production and we want to indicate that in the repository nicely.