Advantage of Datastage over Informatica

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cherry
Participant

Advantage of Datastage over Informatica

Post by cherry »

Hai All,

Iam new to datastage. I would like to know 3 or more characteristics you like about DataStage over Informatica.

Regards
Cherry
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Cherry,

a question phrased that way sounds so much like an interview question that those who have used both product will probably not be interested in responding. Why not state why you are looking for answers to this question and be satisfied with just one reason?

The answer is so judgemental as well and is like asking for a choice between Microsoft and Linux - or between Catholicism and Protestant.

I prefer DataStage over Informatica because the BASIC language in DS makes quick coding possible even for those without a foundation in C++.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

DataStage has a better splash screen, DataStage is easier to say while you are holding your tongue and DataStage rhymes with MetaStage, ProfileStage and QualityStage. I think you'll find Informatica rhymes with none of those products.
sanjay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sanjay »

Hi

1. Cost (datastage is cheaper then informatica)
2. Parallel Processing ( Works well in Unix)
3. IBM brand name

Thanks
Sanjay

ArndW wrote:Cherry,

a question phrased that way sounds so much like an interview question that those who have used both product will probably not be interested in responding. Why not state why you are looking for answers to this question and be satisfied with just one reason?

The answer is so judgemental as well and is like asking for a choice between Microsoft and Linux - or between Catholicism and Protestant.

I prefer DataStage over Informatica because the BASIC language in DS makes quick coding possible even for those without a foundation in C++.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The answer is so judgemental
The best answer might be that SAP, PeopleSoft and some of the biggest software companies use DataStage and include it with their products. If it was not at least as good then why would they switch from the other to DataStage.
Mamu Kim
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Please differentiate Server, PX, RTI, etc and their versions.

The war stories for each is vastly different, as well as their successes.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

I wish DataStage had DEBUGGER, as we have this feature inbuilt in Informatica..
Nitin Jain | India

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

koolnitz wrote:I wish DataStage had DEBUGGER, as we have this feature inbuilt in Informatica..
Server has an exquisite integrated Debugger that has been there from the beginning. Be sure which flavour of the tool you're addressing.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
DataStageCnu
Participant

Re: Advantage of Datastage over Informatica

Post by DataStageCnu »

Hi,

We don't need any other database for creating repository. DataStage has its own DB (UniVerse).

We don't need to import table def for Sources and targets seperately.

We don't need to create sessions,... then workflos... then worklets.. then workflows.... in different windows....

We don't need to so many exp_transformations to convert data...

We don't need filter transformations to impose any constraints... we can do it in transformer.

We don't need to create in put ports and output ports...

and so ... so... many like this...
Thanks,
Cnu

We work together to workout...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

vmcburney wrote:DataStage has a better splash screen, DataStage is easier to say while you are holding your tongue and DataStage rhymes with MetaStage, ProfileStage and QualityStage. I think you'll find Informatica rhymes with none of those products.
Isn't there a Metabroker that allows MetaStage to get stuff from Informatica?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Each tool is a good tool. Each tool is in Gartner's top right quadrant. They involve a different mind set during design (simplified as top-down versus bottom-up) but should end up with the same solution from the same plan. Any person may prefer one over the other. Here you're likely to get a bias towards DataStage (it's a DataStage place) - on an Informatica forum the bias is likely to be the other way.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DataStageCnu
Participant

Post by DataStageCnu »

ray.wurlod wrote:Each tool is a good tool. Each tool is in Gartner's top right quadrant. They involve a different mind set during design (simplified as top-down versus bottom-up) but should end up with the same solution from the same plan. Any person may prefer one over the other. Here you're likely to get a bias towards DataStage (it's a DataStage place) - on an Informatica forum the bias is likely to be the other way.
Nice Endup....
Thanks,
Cnu

We work together to workout...
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Some interesting points made in this thread. There were a few threads on this topic over at www.datawarehouse.com, back when it was popular, and whenever one person stated the advantages of one product over the other someone else was able to dispute each point. As Ray points out they are in almost exactly the same place on the Garnter quadrant and they overlap in ETL, data quality and metadata.

I like the comparisons of ETL versus ELT (eg. Sunopsis) versus DBMS ETL (OWB and SQL Server ETL) versus BI ETL (BO and Cognos) versus ERP ETL (Oracle Data Hub, SAP Netweaver). The choice between Informatica and DataStage is almost irrelevent, you just play them against each other to get a better price, but the big choice is whether you want pure play ETL or whether you are looking for a cheaper option or something that bundles with an existing product.
cherry
Participant

Post by cherry »

Hai All,

Thanks for all who spent their valuable time on this topic.

Regards
Cherry