Increasing number of processes

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nivas
Participant

Increasing number of processes

Post by nivas »

Hi
Our environment has 4 physical nodes. I changed configuration file to make 6 vertual nodes. The job is aborting saying the following message.
But when I chaged the configuration file from 6 nodes to 4 nodes the job is running successfully with 4 processes.

could any body please suggest me how do I increase the processes from 4 to 6 or more.

thanks
Nivas

node_node6: Fatal Error: Unable to start ORCHESTRATE process on node node6 (scarecro): APT_PMPlayer::APT_PMPlayer: fork() failed, Resource temporarily unavailable
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Your operator or System Administrator will need to make configuration changes to allow more concurrent processes available per user id. Each version of UNIX has a different way of doing this, so without knowing what platform you are running on we cannot help directly.
nivas
Participant

Post by nivas »

Hi
Our platform is HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800. I am changing the configuration file through Datastage manager. I am providing the configuration file name to the job through $APT_CONFIG_FILE. I am expecting the job should take the new configuration file in which there are 6 virtual nodes and should create 6 processes. COuld you explain how the configuration file will change the number of processes and suggest me how do we increase the number of processes.

thanks
Nivas

thanks
Nivas
ArndW wrote:Your operator or System Administrator will need to make configuration changes to allow more concurrent processes available per user id. Each version of UNIX has a different way of doing this, so without knowing what platform you are running on we cannot help directly.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Nivas,

these parameters have nothing to do with the APT_CONFIG file; they are system parameters.

The two parameters that affect you in HP-UX are maxuprc (processes per user) and nproc (total processes on system). You cannot change these, they must be modified by a superuser on your system.
nivas
Participant

Post by nivas »

thanks
Nivas
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Nivas,

increasing the APT_CONFIG from 4 to 6 doesn't meant that now you have 6 processes in total where you only had 4 before; it means that each stage in your job now executes with 6 instead of 4 jobs. So if you have 20 stages in your job this APT_CONFIG change has increased the number of process running for the job by 40. It is not unkown for complex jobs with many nodes to generate over 1000 pids! And if several jobs run at the same time under the same userid the normal limits are very quickly reached.
nivas
Participant

Post by nivas »

Hi ArndW

Now I am very clear on the relationship between config file and processes.

thanks
Nivas