Grid Capability for DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Lali_swam
Participant

Grid Capability for DataStage

Post by Lali_swam »

Hi,

What do we mean by grid capability in DataStage 7.5.1. Someone asked me if this question "Does DS 7.5.1 have grid capability? If so, what software and components are needed to make our server to be grid enabled". Please enlighten me. Appreciate all your answers.

Thanks,
Lalitha
Lalitha
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You need to google "grid computing". It's a method where computers share their power, think of 50 PCs sitting on desktops around a company doing word processing and email all day. At night, all of the PC's become a larger virtual computer of 50 cpus working together to process data. Those 50 machines are called a "grid computer". The difference between a supercomputer of many clustered servers and a "grid" is that a grid can be just a bunch of desktops, arbitrarily contributing their resources when available.

Check out Seti@home to see grid computing realized in a very large sense. It's people (like me) who volunteer their PCs to work evenings helping process vast amounts of data.

DS does not support grid computing yet.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage EE is currently running in production on at least two grids of which I am aware. It treats the grid as an MPP cluster. The operating system looks after a lot of the distribution of work.
I have not seen any official announcement that DS supports grid computing, but at least two sites have it working.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

Lalitha,

There was a good session on grid and DataStage EE at the IBM conference. I would see if your IBM Sales Rep or SE can get you the power point for that session.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If you hook up the servers and install DataStage what you have is a cluster. A lot of manual configuration is required in the DataStage config files to get the jobs to run over the cluster. If you add grid management software what you get is a grid. This is far more clever at load balancing and allocating jobs to servers and running many server software jobs (not just DataStage) across those grid machines.

It is possible to get a grid up and running without the grid management software but it would require a lot of in house development and configuration.
Lali_swam
Participant

Post by Lali_swam »

Hi ,
Thank you all for your valuable responses. This question was posted to me by my Manager and infact he also attended the IBM Integration Live. I got the presentation on the grid, The topic is
"Best Practices and Tech Deep Dive - Deploying a Linux Grid" .

Thanks a lot,
Lalitha
Lalitha
Lali_swam
Participant

Post by Lali_swam »

Lali_swam wrote:Hi ,
Thank you all for your valuable responses.
Thanks a lot,
Lalitha
Lalitha