Problem resolved

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kumar
Participant

Problem resolved

Post by kumar »

Hi all,

I wrote a shell script File_Rename.sh in a folder say /data/customer/Personal/Prashanth/
Now I want to call that shell script in Execute Command Activity in Job Sequence. There were no parameters for that shell script. When I executed in Unix at command prompt as sh File_Rename.sh , it executed perfectly. But in Execute Command Activity, I have given the command as
/data/name/sh File_Rename.sh and no parameters as my shell script doesn't need any one. When I ran the job, it is giving the following errors.

samplejob..JobControl (@Execute_Command_0): Executed: /data/customer/Personal/Prashanth/sh File_Rename.sh
Reply=127
Output from command ====>
SH: /data/customer/Personal/Prashanth/sh: not found.

samplejob..JobControl (@Execute_Command_0): Command /data/customer/Personal/Prashanth/sh did not finish OK, reply = '127'

samplejob..JobControl (@Execute_Command_0): Command /data/customer/Personal/Prashanth/sh File_Rename.sh did not finish OK, reply = '127'

samplejob..JobControl (@Execute_Command_0): Controller problem: Unhandled failure (127) encountered executing command /data/customer/Personal/Prashanth/sh File_Rename.sh

samplejob..JobControl (fatal error from @Coordinator): Sequence job (restartable) will abort due to previous unrecoverable errors

Can some one guide me in this regard please. Its very urgent.
Last edited by kumar on Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
VARUNKUMAR
koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

I have given the command as /data/name/sh File_Rename.sh
The command should be sh /data/name/File_Rename.sh

Cheers!!
Nitin Jain | India

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
kcbland
Participant

Re: Calling shell scripts in Execute Command Activity. Urgen

Post by kcbland »

kumar wrote:Can some one guide me in this regard please. Its very urgent.
We're sorry your problems are urgent. Please don't ask for urgent answers again in the future, as that usually means they won't be answered immediately.

Your problem is that you lack the understanding of how unix command line works. This is not a problem that will be fixed "urgently". Giving you the immediate answer means that you will fail to learn what you need to know, which is how commands are run from the command line.

"sh" is the Bourne shell command interpreter program. It does not exist in your supplied directory, it is in the /usr/bin directory. Trying to run "sh" from another directory will not work.

Your script exists in your directory, therefore, you need to supply the full path to that directory as part of the command invocation. Since you are required to run as a Bourne shell, you're invoking your script using "sh" and need to give the script as a command line option to the "sh" program.

Since /usr/bin is probably already in the executable search path (see env|grep PATH to confirm your user path) you don't need to qualify the "sh" with /usr/bin. So, a simple

Code: Select all

sh /data/customer/Personal/Prashanth/File_Rename.sh 
should suffice.

I suspect your File_Rename.sh script will also have execution issues, since it will be invoked from the CWD, which is the current working directory and in the case of DS is the project directory. I further suspect that your script is doing file level manipulation, which if it assumes it's executing in the /data/customer/Personal/Prashanth directory, means that it attempt to manipulate non-existent files. Your script probably, and stress this HIGHLY, should be passed an argument that indicates the directory where it will find the files for manipulation. This means that the script will be able to find the files it needs, rather than rely on CWD being what you need.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It may even be that you lack x permission for the script when executing from DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar
Participant

Post by kumar »

I worked on that and executed perfetly before I got your answers.
A little bit confused with the way to use the shell script as that is my first assignment on using shell in DS.

I want to ftp multiple files from a remore directory using FTP Enterprise stage . I have tried with many options. It is asking for port number in URI path . Can someone guide me how to give exactly the URI and files .

Some info: My server 10.125.46.152
file path--/data/vsn/
I want to ftp all files in vsn directory .
VARUNKUMAR