Passing Parameters between jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srekant
Premium Member
Premium Member

Passing Parameters between jobs

Post by srekant »

Hi all,

How can i pass the output(3 columns) of a job as parameters to other job.

Working on DS7.5 EE.
Sree
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

A job does not have "output" in the sense that you would like. In your case you have 3 columns - times how many rows?

Do you wish to call a job one time for each row and pass 3 columns/values as parameters to that job?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The easiest ways are to have Job A write the values to a file and have the job controller (sequence) read that file before invoking Job B, or to have Job A load the values as a delimited string into its user status area and have the job controller access and parse that value before invoking job B.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
As ray suggested intermediate file will be the simplest way. We can directly inherit only Jobname, Jobstatus or UserStatus from a job which can be passed as parameter.

Hi ray,

Is there ant way we can pass a value of a column a used in job (lets assume it has just single row) to its own paramter without using external job control.

-Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Kumar - you mentioned one such way in your post - via the UserStatus area. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No job, once started, can alter the value of any of its own job parameters.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Is that what we are discussing? I thought the topic was passing parameters between jobs. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I intuit that the thought process was "if I can change Job A's parameter values in Job A, then Job B can use DSGetParamInfo() to read those values" and sought to pre-empt that line of thinking.