DS PX - cluster

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akrzy
Participant

DS PX - cluster

Post by akrzy »

Hi,

Does DS have special definition of cluster e.g. N independent computers are connected by installing DS server on each machine and confguring RSH for comunication among the nodes.
Or we should have dedicated OS for cluster?

Anka
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Okay, no replies so I'll take a shot. DataStage has a definition of the cluster within the configuration file of the main server. Some server software needs to be installed on each machine in the cluster but I'm not sure how much. Yes you do need rsh communication between the nodes though I believe you can override this to use ssh instead, I think it's in the install and upgrade guide.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DS EE is cluster-aware. You do have to have the osh stuff on each machine, but you do not need the complete DataStage server on each machine (contrary to anything a sales person seeking extra commission may claim!).

Player processes on separate machines communicate via TCP sockets, as do section leader processes talking to the conductor process.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
track_star
Participant

Post by track_star »

Look in the Install and Upgrade Guide for copyorchdist if you don't want to install the complete DS package on every node of the cluster. That copies only the binaries and libraries that are required for runtime. You can't create jobs and compile them on the remote nodes, but you will be able to distribute the jobs from your main condictor node across each of the remote nodes. As for rsh vs ssh, you simply modify PXEngine/etc/remsh.example to call whatever path to ssh you have and then save it as remsh (that's also in the Guide).
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

Thanks for information :)