RT_CONFIG 1342 - Unable to write record to file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thebird
Participant

RT_CONFIG 1342 - Unable to write record to file

Post by thebird »

Hi,

When I am trying to save or compile jobs, I am getting this eeror -

Unable to write record <Job Name> to file RT_CONFIG 1342

This has been happening frequently now, and has been hampering my developmnet a lot. An someone please tell me what this error is, or how this can be dealt with.

Once this comes, the job cannot be compiled, and so I would have rebuild the job.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Regards,

The Bird.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Somehow the file became corrupted. This is a runtime file, so you're able to fix it easily.

First, using Director, try to clear status file, which may fix this file as well. If this doesn't fix the issue, export the job and re-import it. That recreates all runtime files under a newly assigned job number. You may get messages about unable to delete the old job runtime files. You may also consider using the TCL command line available in DS Administrator. Execute a command "CLEAR.FILE RT_CONFIG1342", which clears the file, removing any kind of corruption (blink issues). If the config file is malformed, the export/import trick fixes that.

As to how this happens, it's usually one of two ways. The first is that so many jobs are simultaneously executing there's a corruption due to a lack of ability to have so many jobs running. Search for T30FILES, this is a setting that affects all jobs, not just Server. The internal repository is a collection of dynamic hash files.

The second way is that you ran out of disk space on the project file system. You would have a lot more problems other than this file, but I suspect that the first reason is your cause.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: RT_CONFIG 1342 - Unable to write record to file

Post by chulett »

thebird wrote:When I am trying to save or compile jobs, I am getting this eeror -

This has been happening frequently now, and has been hampering my developmnet a lot. An someone please tell me what this error is, or how this can be dealt with.

Once this comes, the job cannot be compiled, and so I would have rebuild the job.
Clarify something. You've given the error message from a specific job, but your text seems to indicate that it is happening to multiple jobs, perhaps any job over the course of the day. :?

Assuming it is not just one particular job, I'm going to go with Ken's thought that the disk / partition where DataStage is installed is having free space issues. Please clarify this for us and confirm or deny the disk space issue.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dprasanth
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: RT_CONFIG 1342 - Unable to write record to file

Post by dprasanth »

thebird wrote:Hi,

When I am trying to save or compile jobs, I am getting this eeror -

Any help on this is appreciated.

Regards,

The Bird.
Hi,
I had the same problem few days ago. The reason I got this error was becuase of UNIX permission issues. I had a job which was run as a development user. Then I ran the same job with Production user. The first time the job ran, it created the RT_files with DEVELOPMENT user id. Next time when the job ran with the production user, the Production unix user id didn't have permission to overwrite the Files. So we had to change our user and group of the RT files and this rectified our issue
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Make sure that all users have umask set to 002 and that umask 002 appears in $DSHOME/dsenv.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.