MQ Series Trigger

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

raviyn
Participant

MQ Series Trigger

Post by raviyn »

Hi,

After going through the Documentation i have understood that for DS to work with MQ we need to have on DS Server an MQ Series Server which can later connect to any other remote MQ Series server .

What I wanted to know was :

1) How can we trigger a DataStage job as soon as a we have a particular message on the remote queue ? Does DataStage automatically trigger the Job if I am using a Job containig the MQ Series Adapter Read Stage or is there any other way of doing it ?

2) Also I want to process these records and then put in back into the same MQ Server Queue ? So will it cause any issues and also is there anything special that i need to consider in case of job failures ?
:?:
raviyn
Participant

Re: MQ Series Trigger

Post by raviyn »

Any :idea: :?: :?:

Thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Unless you create an "always running" DataStage job (or job sequence) that listens for the particular message you do not have any mechanism within DataStage to do what you request.

You could create your own listener external to DataStage and have that trigger a DataStage job via the command line interface dsjob but you would need to be very wary that execution completed before another attempt was made to trigger the job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
raviyn
Participant

Post by raviyn »

Thank Ray.

I thought MQ series was all abt real-time and all so thought we have some Event based triggering in Datastage based upon the message being there or not in the queue something like an Event based trigger for a file in a particular folder :?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The story gets better in version 8, but that's not here yet.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.