Log for Multiple instance

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Log for Multiple instance

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
In my case the log for the multiple instace enabled job gets overwritten.
Only the latest log is available. If i call the job for ten time, the tenth log is only available.
I guess its been written into the same log file.
Is there any where i can chage some setting to get all the logs.

-Kumar
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Kumar_s,

normally all instances of a multi-instance job have their own log files visible from the Director. They are all stored in only one log file, so if you have auto purge settings set so that only the last run of a job is kept then it will, unfortunately, remove entries for prior multiinstance runs. You solution is to change the purge settings to a higher value.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Arnd,
Thanks.
So basically all logs are over written into the single main job log file :cry:
-Kumar
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Kumar_s,

they are written, not over-written. If you don't auto-purge log files to only their last run, your multi-instance logs will all be visible. It is just that all of those entries are actually stored in the main job's log.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The job log is a table, not a file, and the row has a column that identifies the instance number, so to display just the entries for one instance is a simple WHERE clause.

You will find, in Director, separate entries in Status view for each instance. Select one of those and switch to log view from there to view the log for that particular instance.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jenkinsrob
Participant

Post by jenkinsrob »

I find it useful to parameterize the invocation id of multi-instance jobs so that each instance appears separately in Director.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi jenkinsrob,
Even if you parameterize the invocation id, no mater what, all the logs will be stored in the mian job file... Hummmm...... TABLE. So the total log available will the restricted by the purging option for the single table.
i.,e by default it would be 3, in that case you can have only 3 logs in director. If u happen to run the job thrice with single invocation id, you will find all the jobs available in directory but with zero entried in the rest of the jobs. :evil:

-Kumar
jenkinsrob
Participant

Post by jenkinsrob »

You can change the settings for how often your job logs are purged from the Administrator.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Yes, but it is the setting for the whole project.
And if we increse it beyond certain limit, Log directory will be bulkier.

-Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It will be the current default for any new jobs created in the project post change.

If you want to change it for your multi-instance job, change it for that one. You can override the default, ya know.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Override the default for a particular job by choosing Clear Log from the Job menu in Director and selecting Auto-Purge. This enables the frame at the bottom of the window so that you can override the defaults.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BIuser »

I have set the job log auto-purge options in the Administrator. This is the project wide change.

For the multi-instance jobs, I want to set the auto-purge options in the Director.

I can select the 'auto-purge' option when using the Director and change the project wide settings for that particular job.
However, when I view the auto-purge settings in the Director, it's back at the project level default. :?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-------------------------
https://www.ssa.co.za
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Change the settings for the actual job, not any of the instances - that should work for you. Remember, setting the project wide defaults only works for new jobs, existing job will retain their previous settings.
BIuser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BIuser »

Thanks for the reply. I have made the change as per your suggestion and notice that the auto-purge settings are ok.

I must admit, one has do a double take to see that the option has been set because the actual setting is greyed out :o
-------------------------
https://www.ssa.co.za
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's only greyed out when Immediate Purge option is selected.