Streaming input to external routine to streaming output?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ultramundane
Participant

Streaming input to external routine to streaming output?

Post by Ultramundane »

I have been using external target, and that works great for outputing the data to a file. But what if I don't want multiple jobs and I want to stream that data to some other routines/stages? I thought I could use the external filter stage, but I must specify the input as being a single column of data so that my external program recognizes the delimter as datastage strips that when it calls the program.

If there is no easy way to do this, then I would like to open a couple of enhancement requests with Ascential.

1. Allow for the External Target stage to have an output link.
2. Allow for a specification of a delimiter for the External Filter stage.
3. Create a new stage that takes a single column of data on a single input link, a string, and allows you split that into multiple columns by specifying a delimeter. Basically, apply the record/column properties that you can specify for a Sequential File Stage to a stream of data.

Your thoughts? Keep in mind that I am a newbie.

Thanks,
Ryan
Ultramundane
Participant

Re: Streaming input to external routine to streaming output?

Post by Ultramundane »

I found number 3 to exist already as the column import stage. Still curious about 1 & 2.