how to configure node for remote db2 server?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ppalka
Participant

how to configure node for remote db2 server?

Post by ppalka »

I have problems with configuration of db2 server node. I read in documentation that if I want to use db2 enterprise stage to connect db2 server on a remote machine I need add an entry in PX config file. And I have a question about it: do I need to install PX engine on that machine where I have a db2 server? Do I have to configure rsh on that machine? Could somebody provide an example of config file to use db2 on a remote machine?

Regards,
Piotrek
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I think there is a bit confusion regarding 2 diferent things.
1. Configuring DS on a cluster (many machines).
2. Configuring connection from the DS server to DBs that are on remote machines.

Your case sounds like the later and only requires you to configure your connection variables to your DB, perhaps installing a client software on your DS server machine as well..
the instructions are found on the plugin docs.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I uploaded to Devnet a DB2 Remote Configuration Guide I got from Ascential support, it is a draft document and is not on the install CD. It describes how to setup remote DB2 connections for parallel jobs and is also useful for people trying to setup local DB2 connections. Get it from devnet or ring Ascential support to get the latest version. It is a valuable document.

You do need DB2 references in your config file, you also need parallel folders mapped or copied to your DB2 remote servers and you need to modify the DB2 setup and grant scripts to handle remote databases. The standard setup.sh uses a database name while the grant.sh script uses a database name and group name. You need to modify the script to also accept a user name and login:
CONNECT TO databasename USING username etc.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Guess I stand corrected.
Thanks for the info Vincent :mrgreen: (green with envy ;))
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It takes between one hour and three weeks to get a remote DB2 connection working on a new DataStage server, depending no how friendly your DB2 administrators are. I found it helps to give full schema rights to all required DB2 databases to the dsadm user for running the setup and grant scripts, even if you need to take away those rights after setup.
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

Thanks a lot for your help. I will try to set up db2 connection properly.
If I get some errors I will post it :)