Editing Key Expressions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Editing Key Expressions

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

It seems like the ability to provide a constant value for one of the key columns in a lookup is not possible in PX, as it was in server jobs. It looks as though you are forced to only use input columns in the key expressions.

Is this true?

Thanks,

Greg
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Presume you're using a Lookup stage here. Are you on 7.5 or an earlier version?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Presume you're using a Lookup stage here. Are you on 7.5 or an earlier version?
Version 7.5x2.
Yes to Lookup Stage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Then, yes, it's true within the Lookup stage. But you could, of course, precede the Lookup stage with a Column Generator stage that uses a cycle from N to N for the column in question (one way to generate a constant).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Thank you for your response.
ray.wurlod wrote:Then, yes, it's true within the Lookup stage. But you could, of course, precede the Lookup stage with a Column Generator stage that uses a cycle from N to N for the column in question (one way to generate a constant).
Currently, I precede with transformer that appends the constants to my other primary link fields. Your solution sounds more complicated. Is is faster than using a transformer?
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Column Generator will definitely be better then a Transformer unless you are using that Transformer for a range of other tasks (such as constraints and derivations) and it is more convenient to leave it in. The stage is not that complicated to use.

Better yet if your lookup source is a database put your constant into the database stage as a where clause using the parameter # values. This will reduce the number of rows your lookup stage needs to prepare.

If your source is not a database but is a dataset or sequential file you could send it to a filter stage using the constant to filter the lookup data, this will reduce the amount of memory your lookup stage uses and speed up the lookups with a small overhead on startup.