Job Parameter Compilation Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kab123
Participant

Job Parameter Compilation Error

Post by kab123 »

Hi,

"Activity abc: trigger Expression CareteTarget - Variable 'paramname' not defined"

We are getting this error sometimes when we try to complie the sequence job individually and sometimes when we do multi-job compilation.
and we checked the parameter is defined in Job Properties and the same is being called in the activity..
Note: we dont get this error all times...
Does anybody has any clue wat is the reason for this..? Does anybody have seen this before..?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Somewhere you've mis-spelled, mis-cased or failed to define a job parameter called "paramname". Indeed, it may be that someone has cut-and-pasted syntax from help. You have to find this. An easy way is to export the job and search in the export file for "paramname".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kab123
Participant

Post by kab123 »

Thanks ray..

It did work when we compile using Multi-job complier but didnt work for individual sequence compilation...
previously, It worked viceversa..looks strange..
but your opinion sounds right...unless there is some configuration or someother appln problem...what is ur comment on this..?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My comment: my opinion sounds right :lol:

Take Sherlock Holmes's advice; eliminate one factor at a time. Or heed Occam's Razor - don't go looking for unnecessarily complicated explanations.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kab123
Participant

Post by kab123 »

well..that saying is right but when things work weirdly,..we get different thoughts in our mind... :wink:
anyway, thanks ray..
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

I seem to be opening a lot of old threads lately.... Normal apologies apply, but this too is a relevant followup (since there was no other followup on this thread).

I too had the same problem as kab123.

It happened after I exported/imported/compiled all jobs: sequences that used Env Vars in trigger conditions all failed to compile.

I tried
- Deleting and re-creating the trigger (using the expression builder - no mis-spellings).
- Dropping and re-creating the Env Var in Administrator.

Neither worked. I brought the DS server down and restarted: SUCCESS :D

Conclusion: there is a bug in 7.5.1a server that affects Job Sequences with trigger conditions that reference Env Vars.
Ross Leishman
jenkinsrob
Participant

Post by jenkinsrob »

We are using 7.5.1 Server and Client and have experienced the same problem with Trigger Conditions in Job Sequencers.

I have found that simply closing Designer and Reopening it solves this problem.

Strange... :?
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I believe your all experiancing the following wierd behaviour:
when using parameter in a user variable or similar stages and something else is wrong your getting the wrong error message.

Work Around!!!
pust a User Variavble stage setting a user Variable wo the parameter value and use this user variable temporarily (unless you don't mind leaving it.

Once you do this and recompile you'll get the correct error message and go on to fix it.

If you don't want to leave the redundant user variable, once you successfully compiled the job you can sfely remove the user variable and use once more you parameter value in the stage expression.

Yea I know I'm also :shock: I got to figure this all out.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Haven't got the error happening right now, but I tried what you suggested on a seq that was getting the error earlier, and it compiled fine; no "correct" error.
jenkinsrob wrote:I have found that simply closing Designer and Reopening it solves this problem.
Looks like I went in a bit hard bringing down the server. I didn't try just restarting Designer.
Ross Leishman