Where is BASIC Transformer Stage ???

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akrzy
Participant

Where is BASIC Transformer Stage ???

Post by akrzy »

In documentation I've read that there is BASIC Tr stage in DS PX.

But... I can't see it in DS Designer.

Platform - Windows XP.

Help.

Anka
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Silly question, but if it's not there, are you sure you are running PX? I thought it was still in 'beta' for Windows. :? The other confusion is PX for Windows only runs on what - Windows Server 2003? - XP is not a supported platform for any product other than the client, as far as I know.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

On Solaris system there isn't too.
How can you explain that? :)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

akrzy,

it is there, but not in the graphical list! In the designer, go to "customize palette", find the "BASIC transformer" in the list and add it to your palette list.
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

Ok,
I am blind.
I'm ashamed.

I 've found :)
Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

akrzy - no reason to be ashamed, I think that Ascential did an excellent job of hiding it. And with reason, as it doesn't really fit into the PX design paradigm and won't scale with the rest of the product. But I must admit that I do have it on my palette as well :lol:
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

:)
One more question,
Why it doesn't fit to PX?
I've read that it works for SMP system.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Since the PX transfer mechanism stays outside of the DataStage engine then by using a Basic Transform you would have to convert the data going in and then again when going back out to Px. This overhead outweighs the benefits for large volumes. Since each node of a Px job would get it's own copy of UniVerse in it's virtual memory space it also adds a lot of memory overhead (although the OS is good at splitting between clean & dirty pages it stills needs a distinct copy for all pids). And should Ascential, at some point in the far and distant future, decide to disassociate the UniVerse/DataStage server engine from the Px product anyone using the BASIC stages would be, well, "SOL".

I am sure that I've missed a number of other reasons, but these two are the deciding ones for me. And I've been working with the nitty-gritty details of the engine since the early 80's so it's very difficult for me NOT to use a BASIC stage when working with PX but even dinosaurs need to evolve or die out :roll:
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I've got PX running on Windows 2000. It may not be certified but it's just an eval version and I'm guessing it will also run on XP. If you were rolling out a production system you would want to stick to Windows 2003. Many people are using the BASIC transformer to re-use routines. I suggest you keep it in a server job instead of a parallel job and if the data volume grows so large that you need to parallel it then rewrite it in a parallel transformer.
EastMan
Participant

Not able to find the BASIC transformer in List

Post by EastMan »

ArndW wrote:akrzy,

it is there, but not in the graphical list! In the designer, go to "customize palette", find the "BASIC transformer" in the list and add it to your palette list.
Hi,

I'm using DS 7.1r2 PX , when i'm trying to add BASIC tramsformer to my palette through customization, it is not available in the list itself.
Can anyone help me in this?

Regards,
Eastman
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
You can find it under "Stage type", "Parallel", "Processing" in customize pallet.

regards
kumar
gbusson
Participant

Post by gbusson »

hi,

you can find it in the Repository browser in the Designer

Stage Types/Parallel/Processing

The use of this stage is NOT recommended