Sequential File Defining multiple targets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequential File Defining multiple targets

Post by adarsh shrinagesh »

Hi

I am confused regarding the effect of defining multiple files in the Sequential stage as targets

My current design is like this

DB2 -> Sorter -> SeqFile

NAME AGE
---------- -----------
ADARSH 23
AKSHAY 25
ADARSH 24
ADARSH 22
ANUP 22
LAMBA 34
ADARSH 27
adarsh 12

In the Sort stage I'm sorting on name with the following additional properties

In the Seq Stage under
Properties -> Target I define two files
File=/xyz/a1.txt
File=/xyz/a2.txt

the outputs are as follows

a1
ADARSH,23
ADARSH,24
ADARSH,22
ADARSH,27
adarsh,12

a2
AKSHA,25
ANUP,22
LAMBA,34

Any explanations as to why this is happening?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's because - intentionally or otherwise - you designed your job to do that.

You have not provided anything like enough information to enable anyone to diagnose this. For example, how many processing nodes are defined in the configuration file under which the job was run? Have you tested it with a single processing node? Where do you specify the sorting? Exactly what sorting do you specify? Exactly what partitioning do you specify, and where? What null handling/representation do you specify in the Sequential File stage?

Computers are DUMB - they do exactly what you tell them to do. Exactly. So you need some skills in representing your requirements exactly in a form that the computer can use.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by adarsh shrinagesh »

ray.wurlod wrote:It's because - intentionally or otherwise - you designed your job to do that.

You have not provided anything like enough information to enable anyone to diagnose this. For example, how many processing nodes are defined in the configuration file under which the job was run? Have you tested it with a single processing node? Where do you specify the sorting? Exactly what sorting do you specify? Exactly what partitioning do you specify, and where? What null handling/representation do you specify in the Sequential File stage?

Computers are DUMB - they do exactly what you tell them to do. Exactly. So you need some skills in representing your requirements exactly in a form that the computer can use.

Hi

Realized the goof up - The Sequential file Target was set to Auto Partitioning type ... setting to entire instead allows the required result.

Thnx