Whats the latest supported version on DS EE on windows 2000

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

maffan76
Participant

Whats the latest supported version on DS EE on windows 2000

Post by maffan76 »

Hi,
We have 7.5.1A installed on windows 2000 Server. But when i build a job and try to run it it says "This jobtype is not currently runnable on this platform"

I want to know whats the latest verison on DS is supported for windows 2000 Server? from ascential site i think its 7.5.1 But i want to make sure that my understanding is correct or not.

Thanks in Advance.
Regards,
Affan
"Questioning is Half Knowledge"
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
If you read your docs and or ask your provider you will know your version doesn't support PX jobs compilation/running with your Operating System.
As of today only 7.5x2 has PX abilities besides job design but it lacks NLS support for windows OS.
you can also check the official site as well for product availability (there is a FAQ post regarding where you can find information regarding DS).

By the way, this was already covered before.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
maffan76
Participant

Post by maffan76 »

Thanks Roy,
I did read that post and i visited Ascential Web Site see the link below

Code: Select all

http://www.ascential.com/eservice/products/availability.do?version=DSXE1-201&release=7.5.1
Thats why i am confused that which version to install and which version has the ability to Run Parallel Jobs on Windows.
Regards,
Affan
maffan76
Participant

Post by maffan76 »

Thanks Roy,

http://www.ascential.com/eservice/products/availability.do?version=DSXE1-201&release=7.5.1
Thats why i am confused that which version to install and which version has the ability to Run Parallel Jobs on Windows.
Regards,
Affan
maffan76
Participant

Post by maffan76 »

Thanks Roy,

Regards,
Affan
maffan76
Participant

Apology

Post by maffan76 »

Sorry for the multiple post actually my browser got hanged and some how when i saw the reply is posted multiple times.

Once Again sorry for this
Regards,
Affan
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Affan,
7.5X2 EE is the only version that is supported to run parallel jobs on the Windows 2003 server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can design using any version of DS EE (from 6.0) on Windows 2000.

You can not run any version of DS EE except version 7.5x2 on a Windows platform, and it is only supported on Windows 2003 Server. Some have been able to get it to run on XP Pro, but that is not supported.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

In an interesting progression of release numbers Ascential seem to have released 7.5x2 in December of 04 which runs parallel jobs on Windows, followed by release 7.5.1 in February of 05 which does not run parallel jobs on Windows. So you have to specifically ask Ascential for "the one that runs parallel jobs on Windows".

7.5x2 Release Notes:
Enterprise Edition on Windows
-----------------------------
This is the first release of DataStage Enterprise Edition on Windows.
Please refer to the document winee.pdf for installation pre-requisites
and requirements, and differences between the Windows and Unix
Enterprise Editions. This document can be found on the Windows CD image
in the following location:

\DataStage Client\Docs\Enu\Books\winee.pdf
7.5.1 and 7.5.1A Release Notes:
Note:
DataStage Enterprise Edition runtime is not available on Windows platforms.
So it looks like 7.5.1 and 7.5.1A are both newer then 7.5x2 but do not have the Windows parallel job capability. Not to be confused with 7.5A which was a 7.5 bug fix release.

And just to keep things really interesting 7.5x2 is a stealth release with no mention on the availability matrix and no release notes on DeveloperNet. If I didn't have it installed and running on my laptop I would swear parallel jobs on Windows was an urban myth.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I found it, if you go to the release matrix and click on DataStage on Windows it shows up as a Category 1 release.
Releases in Category 1
Category 1 is defined as the latest release available for general distribution. Products in this category are eligible for all levels of maintenance support agreements. Category 1 products have all support services available to them.

Release Operating Systems Product Category Release Note
7.5.1A Windows 2000/2003 (XP for Client) 1 as of 03/30/05
7.5.1 Windows 2000/2003 (XP for Client) 1 as of 02/10/05
7.5x2 Windows 2003 1 as of 12/20/04
7.5 Windows 2000 & XP 1 as of 07/09/04
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

3.0 came out before 2.5.

There were good reasons. 2.5 was 2.2 with NLS, 3.0 did not have NLS. NLS was new at the time; 2.5 spent longer in beta then planned.

The numbers are there for uniqueness, just like surrogate keys.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.