Problem while handling Null values

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hhh
Participant

Problem while handling Null values

Post by hhh »

Hello Datastage Gurus,

in my datastage job, i have several columns and i have handled null value for each column also.
However some records dropped for few decimal field columns, and gives warning messages like "Format_NV_Tfm,0: Field 'P_MKTPRC_BAM' from input dataset '0' is NULL. Record dropped.

Please suggest me on this issue.

Thanks and Regards
Hman
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

Pls check that column getting any NULL values. If null values possible handed null in your SQL query it. Which stage r u using? Like Transformer or aggregator Stage.

Thanks
Man
hhh
Participant

Post by hhh »

Hi,
i am migrating data from db2 stage to Sequential file. yes there is null values for some records, however i have handled the null values in Transformer stage.
Thanks
Hman

mandyli wrote:Hi

Pls check that column getting any NULL values. If null values possible handed null in your SQL query it. Which stage r u using? Like Transformer or aggregator Stage.

Thanks
Man
track_star
Participant

Post by track_star »

Apparently you didn't get them all.....

Try setting the column properties in the seq file stage so that it writes out a default value when a null is seen.
hhh
Participant

Post by hhh »

Hi ,
I transfered data from db2 stage to Transformer stage to sequential file.any way i have handlled null value in Transformer stage, i got warnings in transformer stage only, that means my records are dropped before transformer stage.Though i am able to see records while viewing DB2 stage.
Thanks

track_star wrote:Apparently you didn't get them all.....

Try setting the column properties in the seq file stage so that it writes out a default value when a null is seen.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

hman,

but you are getting your error BEFORE you handle the nulls in your transform. The error looks like you have declared the incoming columns to be non-nullable even though they do contain null values. PX is quite picky about this, you can get away with it in a server job but not in PX.
hhh
Participant

Post by hhh »

Hi Arnd,
i have columns which have nullability NO in table defination and i have put them nullability YES in DB2 stage.
I am doing and handling in transformer stage.
Though in many such type of columns i am getting null values in the input data but they are getting process properly except few columns .
While handling the null using case statement in sql query then it works fine however i dont want to do this.
Is there any otherway to prevent such kind of warnings(Records dropped)

Thanks and Regards
ArndW wrote:hman,

but you are getting your error BEFORE you handle the nulls in your transform. The error looks like you have declared the incoming columns to be non-nullable even though they do contain null values. PX is quite picky about this, you can get away with it in a server job but not in PX.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The basic rule in PX jobs is that if a column might contain null values then the nullable attribute MUST be set; so in your source table you need to set those columns potentially containing nulls so that they are nullable=yes.

You can specify attributes on input to change nulls to some other character(s), either on a field or a stage basis. But PX needs to have a rule on what to do.
hhh
Participant

Post by hhh »

Hi
i have handlled explicitly like If IsNotNull(linkname.columnname ) Then linkname.columnname Else Str('0',12) : '.' : Str('0',2) in the transformer stage despite records are dropped
Thanks
ArndW wrote:The basic rule in PX jobs is that if a column might contain null values then the nullable attribute MUST be set; so in your source table you need to set those columns potentially containing nulls so that they are nullable=yes.

You can specify attributes on input to change nulls to some other character(s), either on a field or a stage basis. But PX needs to have a rule on what to do.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

hhh,

it doesn't matter what you do in the transform, if the incoming column has nullable=no then it is dropped before it gets to your transform logic. Your error message
"Format_NV_Tfm,0: Field 'P_MKTPRC_BAM' from input dataset '0' is NULL. Record dropped.
point to this. In the INPUT definition for column P_MKT_PRC_BAM of the transform Format_NV_Tfm the column is declared as non-nullable and this is why PX is dropping the record.
hhh
Participant

Post by hhh »

Hi ArndW,
If my input column is null and i handle null with following condition then there is chance to drop records.
if isnotnull(P_MKTPRC_BAM) and P_MKTPRC_BAM < 0 Then '-' Else '+'
However if u will change the format of if condition into nested if then it will work fine.
Ex. if isnotnull(P_MKTPRC_BAM) Then if P_MKTPRC_BAM < 0 then '-' Else '+' Else '+'

ArndW wrote:hhh,

it doesn't matter what you do in the transform, if the incoming column has nullable=no then it is dropped before it gets to your transform logic. Your error message
"Format_NV_Tfm,0: Field 'P_MKTPRC_BAM' from input dataset '0' is NULL. Record dropped.
point to this. In the INPUT definition for column P_MKT_PRC_BAM of the transform Format_NV_Tfm the column is declared as non-nullable and this is why PX is dropping the record.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

hhh,

in order to compute an AND condition both elements need to be evaluated, so you are going to perform an illegal operation on a null value in your query.

Change it to
if isnotnull(P_MKTPRC_BAM) or P_MKTPRC_BAM => 0 Then '+' Else '-'
if you really want to keep your original design, but the second variant you wrote is just as good.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Also make sure APT_PADCHAR_STRING = 0x00 else if it is ' ' you need to check for space.

regards
kumar