metadata store

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

djoni
Participant

metadata store

Post by djoni »

I understand 7.5 no longer uses Universe to store metadata. Where does Datastage store its metadata? What format? (RDBMS, file)
Thanks, djoni
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You understood incorrectly, DataStage at 7.5 still uses the UniVerse tables to store metadata.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Strictly speaking, it doesn't. At version 6, when IBM bought UniVerse (and a heap of other database products) from Informix, Ascential had to change the name of the database to "DataStage Engine". However, the storage mechanism in the Repository is unchanged through to version 7.5.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
track_star
Participant

Post by track_star »

It will change at version 8.0....you will be able to select where you want to store the repository (from a list of supported DBs, I believe). I wonder which one will be the preferred target??? :lol:
Raog
Participant

Re: metadata store

Post by Raog »

Djoni,

It uses the universe in 7.5. In the next release Hawk, u can decide on which database you want to store your metadata.

Thx,
Rao.
djoni wrote:I understand 7.5 no longer uses Universe to store metadata. Where does Datastage store its metadata? What format? (RDBMS, file)
Thanks, djoni
track_star
Participant

Post by track_star »

I don't think there's going to be any "choice" in the matter.....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The same range of choices that you currently have for MetaStage. This includes DB2, Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server and "UniVerse".

The intention of Hawk is to have a common repository for DataStage, QualityStage, ProfileStage and MetaStage (and AuditStage?).

Should be fun for the hackers!
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
track_star
Participant

Post by track_star »

Eventually they will all be there....my comment was about the initial release (sorry I didn't clarify). It will be a limited list, with DB2 beinig the primary choice.