Diff Stage Functionality Problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vss
Participant

Diff Stage Functionality Problem

Post by vss »

Hi,

I have used a Diff stage in a parellel job to compare two records from (Source and Tng).Both the links are providing records in sorted manner.But the records which are inserted in the Difference table have no modifications.The datatypes of all the fields of the records are the same.Is there any specific parameter to be provided for the same
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Welcome Aboard :D

What do you mean here by Diff table. Is it the output of the Difference stage, it that case you woul get only an additional field to indicat the difference.

regards
kumar
vss
Participant

Post by vss »

Hi,

With the Diff table i meant the output table of the Diff stage.
I am getting a Diffcode column with diffcode as 3 (i.e Updated).The problem is there are no modifications in the record.The record is same in the Source and Target tables(Tng)

Regards,
vss
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Not much sure...
Make sure the code you entered in EDIT is correct.

Also try passing same table for both input, so that you can get the result of the diff stage(Expected or Unexpected) and so you can verify.

regards
kumar
jasper
Participant

Post by jasper »

some things to watch:
- parallelism: if the diff stage is run in parallel you migth get mismatches of node(allthough come to think of it this would cause an insert and delete not an update)
-char-varchar : are both inputs the same format? if you compare a varchar with a char there migth be spaces causing the difference. Or (because you say all datatypes are the same: is maybe one of them trimmed?)
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I think I recall Vincent mentioning in one of he's posts that diff stage is for backwards compatibility and you should use ChangeCapture stage for new jobs and I also think he said this was not documented as well.

Feel free to search for that post.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
vss
Participant

Diff Stage

Post by vss »

Hi,

Thanx to all of you for your precious time for going through the post.The issue is resolved
One on the number field in the target table was getting rounded off.This was causing the problem in the Diff Stage comparision.
I would like one more clarification...
Is a Sort stage necessary before the Diff Stage when i am setting the Diff Stage Execution Mode as Sequential?

Thanks and Regards,
vss
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi,
Other that funnel all other stages which gets more than one input requires sorted input. Its again a function of join and compare.... so ans is yes.

regards
kumar