Datasets are not physically removed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datasets are not physically removed

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi DsPandits,

I was trying to remove the files created by using the datasets using the dataset management utility.But the mail control file is removed ,but the other files which are created along with it are not being removed.
We are running our parallel jobs in 4 nodes..So,for each node 3 files are being created other than the main control file..So,total 0f 12 (3*4) files are still existing..files are being created in the following location..

resource disk "/ascential/scratchdatasets/datasets" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "/ascential/scratchdatasets/scratch" {pools

can any one help me out...
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Have you tried it at UNIX - "orchadmin rm {dataset.ds}"? It sounds like somehow just a unix "rm" was issued. Do you get any error messages from the dataset management program?
dspxlearn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dspxlearn »

Hi Arnd,

I didnt get any error while using the dataset management utility.Is it like this utility will not remove all the files related to that paticular dataset...??

I didnt try out with orchadmin rm {dataset.ds}"? ..neway i will try with that..
Thanks and Regards!!
dspxlearn
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I haven't used the GUI to remove datasets, but I would be surprised if that doesn't do it correctly. If you remove a .ds dataset descriptor file and then re-create the dataset in a program then you will have extraneous files in the scratch area from the previous set that will never get removed.

If your dataset is called my.ds then the remove command from UNIX is orchadmin rm my.ds
hari_pulakanam
Participant

Post by hari_pulakanam »

Hi ArndW,

I tried with the command "orchadmin rm"..but it is saying command not found...we are connecting to the remote server...So, do we need admin rights to exeute that command...

Or is there any way round to remove all the files at once..
Hari Krishna
Programmer Analyst
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, it means that the parent directory of the orchadmin command does not appear in your command search path (the PATH environment variable).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

HI,
Just give Orchadmin, if you could see the descripton of Orchadmin it means the paht is set correctly.

regards
kumar
RAJEEV KATTA
Participant

Re: Datasets are not physically removed

Post by RAJEEV KATTA »

dspxlearn wrote:Hi DsPandits,

I was trying to remove the files created by using the datasets using the dataset management utility.But the mail control file is removed ,but the other files which are created along with it are not being removed.
We are running our parallel jobs in 4 nodes..So,for each node 3 files are being created other than the main control file..So,total 0f 12 (3*4) files are still existing..files are being created in the following location..

RAJEEV KATTA
Participant

Re: Datasets are not physically removed

Post by RAJEEV KATTA »

Hi ,
Just set the APT_ORCHHOME,APT_CONFIG_FILE,LD_LIBRARY_PATH,DSHOME,PATH in a file and execute it.After that type ORCHADMIN check on the command prompt to see that osh works or not.Then type orchadmin rm <dataset name>.This will do ur job for deleting the dataset but as you said even the dataset management also does the samething from gui for example when you say delete dataset from dataset management it will execute the command orchadmin rm <datasetname.ds> in the background.So using either ways from gui or from command line you can delete the dataset.

dspxlearn wrote:Hi DsPandits,