Differences between Server and Parallel Extender

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsx
Participant

Differences between Server and Parallel Extender

Post by dsx »

Just curious in terms of performance about some of the basic differences between the Server edition and the Parallel Extender version of DataStage ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Define "performance".

Read chapter 2 of the Parallel Job Developer's Guide
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It depends. Given that one of your criteria is to use all the partitioning and parallelism available in server jobs, I'd be happy to assert that a highly competent server job developer could create a set of jobs that would finish more quickly than a set of parallel jobs created by a less competent developer.

Complex lookups are a bummer in either edition; you always seek ways to pre-select a lookup set. It's like the difference in SQL between a subquery (done once) and a correlated subquery (done for every row) - you try to avoid the latter.

However, that said, the parallel job is automatically scalable. Right now you are only processing four million rows. What happens in two years time when you need to process ten million rows. Against this scenario parallel jobs seem to be the way to go.

Also, there's some degree of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) being put about - unreasonably, in my opinion - about the future of server job technology.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.