Null Values for all 30 columns

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Null Values for all 30 columns

Post by vinaymanchinila »

Hi,
I have researched the " NULL Values " in this forum, my question is if I have 35 columns to check for the null handling, can I do it with one command for all columns or I need to add each column
Col1=handle_null (Col1, 0), Col2=handle_null(Col2,0) ...

in the modify stage.

I am extracting from SAP R/3 using ABAP Extract and as of now writing to a flat file, will write to a table after I first run this job successfully.
Thanks,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You can always specify your null handling in the column declarations, for instance making each column change nulls into some other value such as "0". This way you wouldn't need to do it explicitly during the processing of each column.
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi,
Where would I "specify your null handling in the column declarations", my job as of now looks like

ABAP_Extract--->Modify--->FlatFile

So if I take the Modify stage out, as I was using it for the Nulls it will look like:

ABAP_Extract--->Modify--->FlatFile

Thanks,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vinay,

go to the columns list in the source or target stage, right-click on a column and "edit row" will bring you into the attribute editor. Then you can use the on-line help or the manual to get any additional information answered, but you can see the null-handling attributes on the screen there.
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks a bunch Arnd,
I have looking the help file and was able to get there. I gave the null values as 0 if the incoming field is null and it gives me the following warning:
"null_field" length (8) must match field's fixed width (6)

So should each field be filled with 0s as per the length !
Thanks,
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

The fields I am mentioning are decimal with length 15, scale 3.