DFloatToDecimal

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Salegueule
Participant

DFloatToDecimal

Post by Salegueule »

Hi,

Originally a Transform stage was using the DFloatToDecimal function to covert a double to a decimal.

That stage has been rewriten using a Basic Transform and this fucntion is not available. Can I rely on some implicit conversion here or should I use another function?

Thanks.
ashwin2912
Participant

Post by ashwin2912 »

You can use "decimal_from_dfloat" in Modify Stage.
Is there anything in BASIC transformer to do this? I dont remember...
Ashwin
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can rely on implicit casts in a BASIC Transformer stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Salegueule
Participant

Post by Salegueule »

ray.wurlod wrote:You can rely on implicit casts in a BASIC Transformer stage.
Thank you Ray.

Should I been worried about any performance hit using a Basic Transform instead of the PX native Transform?

What should be the guidelines in using one or the other?

Is it something documented in the Onine manuals?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Should I been worried about any performance hit using a Basic Transform instead of the PX native Transform?
If you like. It appears (at least in version 7.5.1) that the BASIC Transformer stage does operate in parallel on SMP (share everything) environments, so maybe isn't as much of a bottleneck as we've been assuming. However, the BASIC Transformer stage can not be used in an MPP (cluster) environment unless the full DataStage server is installed on every machine and even then probably not.

What should be the guidelines in using one or the other?
Given what I've just written (and if I'm right) it seems not to make much difference unless your production environment is a cluster, in which case avoid the BASIC Transformer stage altogether. There is, of course, a small overhead in requiring the run machine for BASIC to be invoked but that's also true if you're using job sequences so may net out to zero if you're using job sequences.

Is it something documented in the Onine manuals?
I've not been able to find anything explicit in the online help or in the manuals. Of course, the Orchestrate manuals don't mention BASIC at all, as one would expect.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.