"Problem in the Sequencer"

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

maheshsada
Participant

"Problem in the Sequencer"

Post by maheshsada »

There is a hierarchy of sequencers of which the main sequence call the subsequent sequences.

Main Sequence

Sequence 1 Sequence 2

Job 11 Job 12 Job 13 Job 21 Job 22 Job 23 Job 24

In the above scenario, when running the "Main Sequence", if the "Job 23" fails or aborts then when re-starting the "Main Sequence", the "Sequence 2" is re-set and as a result execution starts from "Job 21" and not from "Job 23" as we expect.

All the sequences are "checked" for "CHECKPOINT RESTARTING" and "AUTOMATICALLY HANDLING OF FAILURES".

Thanks in advance.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi and welcome aboard (forgot to say that :oops: ),
In general inside a sequence any acvtivity that fails will be run again upon the next run (unless the job was reset)
There for if your S2 is a job activity on its own in a top level sequnce job and it was not successfull for any reason you will experiance the mentioned behaviour when rerunning the top level sequence job.

This is probably due to checking the log warning for activities that finish with other then OK status or because that sequence aborts for any reason.

The tricky thing is that it apears as if nested restartability of sequence jobs is not being handled, so if S2 will finish with OK status the only way you'll get the job activities inside it working again would be by rerunning the S2 sequence (not the top level one).

I recommend contacting your support and checking is this the expected behaviour or a bug, I wouldn't be suprised if they'll say this is the expected behaviour (while wishing a bug claim).

Take in concideration that mostly I found this feature not fitting in the majority of job sequences for the simple reason that there are days that jobs run and there is no one to handle errors and such, making the so called benefit more then I wanted to bargain for :wink: .

IHTH,
Last edited by roy on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
maheshsada
Participant

Post by maheshsada »

Ok thank you
benny.lbs
Participant

Re: "Problem in the Sequencer"

Post by benny.lbs »

I have asked similar question before, but still can't solve this problem.

Someone said that it worked fine, but I can't find the expected result.

viewtopic.php?t=93466&highlight=

maheshsada wrote:There is a hierarchy of sequencers of which the main sequence call the subsequent sequences.

Main Sequence

Sequence 1 Sequence 2

Job 11 Job 12 Job 13 Job 21 Job 22 Job 23 Job 24

In the above scenario, when running the "Main Sequence", if the "Job 23" fails or aborts then when re-starting the "Main Sequence", the "Sequence 2" is re-set and as a result execution starts from "Job 21" and not from "Job 23" as we expect.

All the sequences are "checked" for "CHECKPOINT RESTARTING" and "AUTOMATICALLY HANDLING OF FAILURES".

Thanks in advance.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

I also found a similar problem in nested sequence restartability.

Would try to get info from Datastage product support guys.

Regards
Sreenivasulu