Adding businessdays to timestamp

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sri75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Adding businessdays to timestamp

Post by sri75 »

Hi,

I have one column, value is like this 2005-07-22 12:12:12
I need to add 3 businessdays to this filed.when I add 3 days to this timestamp output shoud be 2005-07-2712:12:12

Could you please help me with this.

Thanks in advance
Sri
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can do this in a BASIC Transformer stage using the following derivation expression.

Code: Select all

Oconv(Iconv(Left(InLink.TheTimestamp,10),"DYMD")+3,"D-YMD[4,2,2]"):Right(InLink.TheTimestamp,9)
Otherwise you need to read the timestamp as a string, pick the pieces apart with substring techniques, add the three days, adjust the result so that the date is a valid one, then re-assemble the timestamp.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi sri,
But iam wondering, how 3 buisness day added to 22nd changed to 27th.
should saturday and sunday be excluded?

-kumar
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

Understand from his post he wants to exclude Saturday and Sunday while adding no of days to a date. If that is the case, you should check if the date falls on on these two days when you add no of days to the date.

Regards
Saravanan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Never assume.
The requirement may also need to exclude public holidays. Now we're necessarily talking about a table-driven solution.
And we're still talking about an incompletely specified requirement. :evil:
That said, I must plead guilty to overlooking the word "business" in the OP.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sri75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sri75 »

Hi all,

Thanks for your Replies.Here I need to exclude only saturday and sunday.I am following Ray's suggested logic.Still I am working on that.
Thanks .
Sri
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're going to work with DataStage BASIC internal format dates, then you can modify my earlier formula to take account of the fact that Mod(TheDate,7) returns 0 for Sunday and 6 for Saturday to replace the constant 3 in the addition. If it's Wednesday through Friday you need to add 5; otherwise you need to add 3.

Code: Select all

DayNumber = Mod(Iconv(Left(InLink.TheTimestamp,10),"DYMD"),7)

N = (If DayNumber <= 2 Then 3 Else 5)

Oconv(Iconv(Left(InLink.TheTimestamp,10),"DYMD")+N,"D-YMD[4,2,2]"):Right(InLink.TheTimestamp,9)
I'm sure you can combine all this into one expression. I've kept it as three statements for clarity of exposition. I assume that the Timestamp value will never be a Saturday or Sunday; if that assumption does not hold the adjustment is one of simple arithmetic.
sri75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sri75 »

Thanks Ray
It worked.

Thanks
sri75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sri75 »

HI Ray,

It worked in Basic transformer stage.How can I get the same result in normal transformer stage.
First I read the timestamp as varchar.
In the normal transformer, I coudn't use mod function or to_char function
Could you please help me.

Thanks
Sri
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The point about using the BASIC Transformer stage is that the regular parallel Transformer stage does not have Iconv and Oconv available.

Without these it's a really ugly problem; you will have to write your own function. As I said earlier, you need to read the timestamp as a string, pick the pieces apart with substring techniques, add the three (or five, depending on the weekday) days, adjust the result so that the date is a valid one (for example not 30 Feb), then re-assemble the timestamp.