Handling of data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gopskrish
Participant

Handling of data

Post by gopskrish »

Hi ,

If the data is stored in Exponential format say 4e-05 then how can i convert the same in proper format.
does anybody handled such things. Initially I am storing it in dataset and then i read from dataset to load the same in Sequential file.
I want to incorporate such logic in the second transformation.

Thanks in advance.

cheers,
gops
I am verymuch interested to learn an ETL tool and i find datastage as the best one to do so.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you sure that the data are stored in this format, or is it only that they are being displayed in this format? What is your proof? It is very unusual to store data in a decimal exponential format. (There is an IEEE standard for storage of floating point numbers in a binary exponential format, but that's not the case for your post.)
Since 4e-05 is 0.00004 then a Decimal data type with a Scale of 5 or more should be all you need.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gopskrish
Participant

Post by gopskrish »

Hi Ray,

I can use decimal places but I am not sure about the actual data that is coming in. Some may require more decimal places and some may require less. If it requires less spaces and when we assign 5 decimal places then it is adding that many zeroes after the required number. How can i control that.
Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.

Note. I tired varchar2 as the source and varchar2 as the target and then divide the same by 1000 for the source 0.04 i am getting the same exponential problem (4e-05) in the sequential output file. Is it a bug ?

Thanks a lot.

cheers,
gops
I am verymuch interested to learn an ETL tool and i find datastage as the best one to do so.