Anyone running DS on USS with DS on Linux?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Anyone running DS on USS with DS on Linux?

Post by RobJ »

We have licences for DataStage Enterprise Edition for USS (mainframe) and separate licences for DataStage Enterprise Edition for AIX, but I'm wondering whether we would be better moving the AIX server to Linux.

Does anyone know if it's possible to run this combination? (You need a "Unix" DataStage server in order to deploy jobs up to the mainframe, but it's not clear from the docs I've got whether it has to be AIX or whether we could use Linux instead.)

The downside of AIX is the cost of the C++ compiler, which we only need for DataStage. Under Linux, we could use the free GCC compiler. Not to mention the lower cost of Linux OS compared to AIX.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I agree, the AIX Visual Age compiler can be a pain to install and expensive to license for multiple developers. The documentation suggests Visual Age for AIX but maybe you can put a free compiler on your AIX box and try that instead.

I haven't tried USS but I am guessing the compatibility between Linux and your USS server comes down to the connectivity between the two. If you are confident you can source all the components for your Linux box that let's it communicate with the USS server for passing jobs and job results then I would say it will be compatible. Ascential are not in the habit of limiting platform choices and most server components work on any flavour of Unix including Linux.