Regarding error message capture

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anil kumar
Participant

Regarding error message capture

Post by anil kumar »

Hi All,

This is Anil,
i am converting the source field which is in VARCHAR format to DATE data type.During this conversion ,i want to capture the ERROR Messages that occur during the conversion.
how can i capture this messages.
did any one face this problem.....help me

Thanks in Advance.
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

The error messages would be written in the log file if there is an error occurred in the conversion. And you can read the log file to capture the all messages.

Regards
Saravanan
anil kumar
Participant

Re: Regarding error message capture

Post by anil kumar »

anil kumar wrote:Hi All,

This is Anil,
i am converting the source field which is in VARCHAR format to DATE data type.During this conversion ,i want to capture the ERROR Messages that occur during the conversion.
how can i capture this messages.
did any one face this problem.....help me

Thanks in Advance.

Hi i am still new to the DS.can u send me any doc regarding how to create the log file and write to it.where to create and how to read the log file.

Thanks
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

All the messages are written into DataStage runtime files. You should be able to view all log entries in DS Director. Look at DS help for the functions DSGetLogEntry and DSGetNewestLogId and you would get an idea how to capture these log entries.

HTWH.

Regards
Saravanan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Director includes a "print to file" capability. Select the required events from Log view then choose Print from the Project menu. Check the "print to file" check box and you will get a common file dialog.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.